Very scary! Inaccurate dataset size and disappearing SMB share data.

ScaleyNas

Dabbler
Hello all,
I have a newly built SCALE NAS running 22.02.0.1. After some minor odd glitches but for the most part smooth sailing, I've noticed a few things happening this past week. Every once in a while, I've noticed my dataset sizes have been incorrectly reported. Under STORAGE section, my BUSINESS and LIBRARY datasets show as only having 200KB yet they have nearly 1TB of data combined. If I open the BUSINESS SMB shared folder (Windows 11 PC) and check the properties, everything is there. Then if I check the NAS WebUI STORAGE section again, the numbers suddenly are accurate! THAT'S SCARY! LOL

The other problem (likely connected?) is that the LIBRARY mapped drive suddenly started appearing EMPTY under Windows. One minute it's all there and I can grab a file. Maybe 15 minutes later I open it again to get another file the share shows as empty! No files in it and according to Windows, all the free space is available.

All my datasets and shares are setup the same. Basically, all defaults with the minor tweak of PURPOSE, which is set to PRIVATE SMB DATASETS AND SHARES.

Am I doing something wrong? Missing something? This is a home system and nothing is tweaked. Pretty much default settings.

I've had a few bugs and glitches along the way (still no console access, UPS disconnects 2 or 3 times a day, can't get OpenVPN service to run, etc) so I'm feeling like maybe I should just do a fresh install and reconfig everything from the ground up with the exception of keeping the pools as is and importing them.

UPDATE:
Bug Report filed and I should also add that I previously tried deleting the share and then recreating it. The data reappeared and that worked a few times. Today, that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Last edited:

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
That is rather odd, but we'd need a lot more information to diagnose this type of thing. Can you file a ticket on https://jira.ixsystems.com and include a debug file? (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug)

ScaleyNas

Dabbler