Can't make read-only user for SMB share

v-lab

Cadet
Hello,

I installed TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2 with some datasets and everything works fine with groups and permissions.
I tried to make a user with read-only on these SMB Shares but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I made a user backuppc to backuppc all the files in these datasets (smb share) but I can't open anyfiles.
I can login, see files, but I can't open/read any file and I can't see any folder from that share.

I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 2023-11-27_16-18.png
    2023-11-27_16-18.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 2023-11-27_16-19.png
    2023-11-27_16-19.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 129

bcat

Explorer
At a glance, that looks right, but did you also apply the new ACL to existing files? You can do this in TrueNAS (check "Apply permissions recursively" and click "Save Access Control List" in the dialog from your second screenshot) or Windows (through the normal file properties dialog). Otherwise, your inherited access control entry will apply only to new files and folders in that dataset, not existing ones.

jpmcgillivray005

iXsystems
iXsystems
I agree with @bcat however would add caution to using Apply permissions recursively. Make sure you want those changes to affect everything in the current dataset. Since your user is named "backuppc" I assume you are backing up things and this is what you want, but it is important to make sure.

v-lab

Cadet
Thank you so much for your help, everything work fine now (almost).
So everytime I add a new user with modify or read-only I need to use tick recursively?

jpmcgillivray005

iXsystems
iXsystems
Thank you so much for your help, everything work fine now (almost).
So everytime I add a new user with modify or read-only I need to use tick recursively?
Yes otherwise those permissions will only be applied to new files and directories that are created and not anything already present. Recursively will apply the changes to the contents already present.

A easier solution if you will have many more users would be to use a group as you already have some. Then you will only have to apply recursively once as any users to that group (even added after the changes) will gain those permissions without needing to update everything.