Importing my existing ZFS pool into TrueNAS SCALE but can't SMB or NFS share it

arksoc

Cadet
I have this existing pool that is running in an Ubuntu VM at the moment and shared over NFS. It's a mirrored configuration with 2x 8TiB drives.

When I import this pool to TrueNAS, the import goes well and I can see the pool ONLINE and healthy.

However:

- I can't share any of its datasets with NFS or SMB; when I go to "Add", the only option under /mnt is the other pool I have in the machine (on another drive)
- I can't export it from the UI; I always get this error: `[EBUSY] Unable to stop processes that have open files`. The only solution is to go to the shell and `zpool export mypool`

What am I doing wrong?

Running TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.0.1 in ProxMox 7; all ZFS drived are passed through directly. I can't pass the controller through because I only have one on that machine (commodity hardware).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

arksoc

Cadet
If you care about your data, that is.

OK, so what do you see from lsof | grep /mnt/mypool
I don't really have any alternative, the machine only has one disk controller for all drives in it and I'm on a tight budget.

That command outputs nothing.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I don't really have any alternative, the machine only has one disk controller for all drives in it and I'm on a tight budget.
OK. Just understand that your tight budget affords you a lot of risk. Don't be too upset when your data is lost.

That command outputs nothing.
Is the pool currently imported (and named "mypool")?

If you get nothing from that command with the right pool named and mounted, there should be nothing to raise the error relating to open files.

I guess you could have a non-mnt pool mountpoint... so running it like this may also be valid...

lsof | grep /mypool

or even

lsof | grep mypool

arksoc

Cadet
OK. Just understand that your tight budget affords you a lot of risk. Don't be too upset when your data is lost.

Is the pool currently imported (and named "mypool")?

If you get nothing from that command with the right pool named and mounted, there should be nothing to raise the error relating to open files.

I guess you could have a non-mnt pool mountpoint... so running it like this may also be valid...

lsof | grep /mypool

or even

lsof | grep mypool
Yes, nothing from any of that. And yet the UI refuses to export the pool or share it with NFS/SMB.

I'm considering splitting the mirror, adding one of the drives as a blank drive to TrueNAS, importing the other one, copying the files over, and then adding the second one to the new mirror and resilver. It's silly but it feels like I'm going to waste way more time trying to troubleshoot it.

For the controller, I found a "Syba 2 Port SATA 6Gbps PCI-Express x1 2.0 Card" on Amazon for 30 EUR. I could connect the ZFS drives to it and pass the whole controller to the TrueNAS VM. Would that be better for data integrity?

arksoc

Cadet
To add, I also backup daily to rsync.net so even if the pool becomes corrupted, I have a backup. Of course I'd prefer my mirror to actually be 100% reliable but I'll get what I can.

sretalla