SOLVED SMB stopped working after swapping drives

jcm1123

Dabbler
OS Version:TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3

I had a 4x drive pool (2 x MIRROR | 2 wide) setup for testing while I waited for my SSDs to arrive.
I had a few datasets and SMBs shares setup and working.

I got my new drives today and removed each share, then datasets, then the pool, before shutting down the machine.

After getting the new drives installed and a new pool setup (same 2 x MIRROR | 2 wide config). I setup my datasets and SMB shares but now I cannot access them from any computer or account. I'm prompted for credentials but nothing takes.

I've verified all saved credentials from the credential manager have been deleted.
I've also compared all settings to another SCALE instance I setup on a VM that is working.

Next step is to just reinstall the entire thing but I'd rather learn how to troubleshoot this instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I had a 4x drive pool (2 x MIRROR | 2 wide) setup for testing while I waited for my SSDs to arrive.
I had a few datasets and SMBs shares setup and working.

I got my new drives today and removed each share, then datasets, then the pool, before shutting down the machine.

After getting the new drives installed and a new pool setup (same 2 x MIRROR | 2 wide config). I setup my datasets and SMB shares but now I cannot access them from any computer or account. I'm prompted for credentials but nothing takes.

I've verified all saved credentials from the credential manager have been deleted.
I've also compared all settings to another SCALE instance I setup on a VM that is working.

Next step is to just reinstall the entire thing but I'd rather learn how to troubleshoot this instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's a hard case to troubleshoot because you've done so many things. Its not clear where the mistake occurred and whether it was a configuration error or a real bug. If no data is at risk, I'd suggest reinstall.

jcm1123

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply. This was a fresh install so reinstalling isn't a big deal. I was hoping to use this as an opportunity to learn to troubleshoot issues so I can support it in the future. In other situations I won't be able to blow away the entire instance whenever there's an issue.

Just looking for some overall troubleshooting steps I could take if possible.

jcm1123

Dabbler
Figured it out. It was both my test clients had multiple connections to TN. Not sure why it was considered a separate connection, maybe because I recreated the users? Either way for anyone else who might run into this here's what fixed it for me.
C:\> net stop workstation /y
C:\> net start workstation