SOLVED SMB vs Linux

nixgut

Cadet
Hello - I am coming from QNAP and am trying to set up a TrueNAS Scale server to replace it.

I tried to avoid writing this post and have read tons of blogs, forum posts and watched YouTube videos (most are not updated for Scale and there are indications permissions changed), but the simple thing I am trying to accomplish still eludes me. i.e. Like many others I am very confused about permissions vs ACLs.

I am trying to set up SMB shares for Windows clients (works) but also make them reasonably accessible from Linux (ultimately to connect to Docker containers)
  1. I have a mirrored pool of 12TB drives managed by TrueNAS Scale.
  2. Setting up SMB shares and accessing them from Windows works just fine following the documentation.
  3. I can mount these shares on Linux as root using a credentials file with the NAS user details
    sudo mount -t cifs -o credentials=/root/.smb-credentials //192.168.8.10/test3 /mnt/test3
  4. As 'root' I can read and write mounted files on Linux that have been created on Windows.
  5. I can NOT change permissions or owner of these files as root on Linux (which would be nice to have, can live without it)
  6. I can read but NOT write to these files on Linux as the NAS user (same name/group), which is a show stopper
I can provide more details, screen shots etc if required, but think it would benefit many and avoid years and years of such posts if there would be simple step-by-step instructions how to set up such a configuration. i.e. What settings, ACLs and Permissions are required on the datasets and shares (so that a non-root Linux user has write access to SMB shared files)? A post would be preferred over YouTube but after having wasted several evenings I am desperate for anything.

Please let me know if I should elaborate further and provide more detail.

Thanks you very much.