Varying kernel panic modes on fresh install on new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir Yalon

Cadet
Hi,

I have a suspicion that my problem is hardware-related, but I don’t know where to look.

System:
Supermicro X11SSM-F
2x KVR21E15D8/16 = 32GB RAM
Xeon E3 1240 v5
Corsair RM750x 750W PSW
ADATA ASP600S3-32GM-C 32GB SSD for OS
5x WD30EFRX disks for storage
Fractal Design FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK case

I know about the anti-Kingston warning, had a problem sourcing the Supermicro recommended modules, and these ones are listed on the Kingston website as compatible.

On the bare system, with the yet untouched SSD connected, but without the storage disks, Passmark Memtest86 detected ECC and completed its 4 passes without errors.

I went ahead and installed the storage disks and completed the installation of Freenas 9.10.2 over a virtual CD-ROM via the IPMI remote console. I chose the UEFI boot option; the installation completed without issues.

Trying to boot the system now, various different kernel panic modes are observed: (each of the first three images is from a different boot)

YJAXQG1.jpg

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

LHxv3Zo.jpg

panic: vm_page_free: freeing free page 0xfffffaaa42ca55aa

DxSIYyc.jpg

panic: vm_page_free: freeing free page, but with a different stack trace, no db> prompt, and a very long scrolling of stuff followed by an automatic reboot:

R6RavMW.jpg

What is the best way to diagnose this?

Thanks,
Amir

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I know about the anti-Kingston warning,
I think no one has reported any problems with DDR4 modules from Kingston. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Our "dislike" of Kingston is mostly focused on their flash memory products, not their RAM. I run exclusively Kingston RAM.

Amir Yalon

Cadet
Small update, in case anyone else runs into similar errors. The defective part was found to be the CPU. While already using the new one I ordered to try out, I sent the defective CPU to Intel under warranty, and a replacement is on its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.