(V Low Priority) VGA Output issues after downsizing original monitor used for install (BIOS displays, no console)

Bikerchris

Patron
Hello,

Very sorry to bother any that read this, but I've had this annoying issue. I have tried to search for a solution but it's tricky to know the right keywords.

When I first installed FreeNAS, I did so on a 27 inch monitor. After a few months I moved it to another room and attached 12-14 inch monitors.

Since then I've had problems displaying the console - BIOS/UEFS displays fine, but I get "no video output" or similar messages on the screen when FreeNAS is/has loaded. I can SSH and use the FreeNAS GUI without issue.

I've tried 4 different VGA cards and 2 monitors, perhaps 3 by now.

My suspicion is that FreeNAS is trying to display at 2560+ pixels wide, but of course the monitor can't cope with it.

Is there a place on FreeNAS where I can reset the output size?

Many thanks!

pschatz100

Guru
I doubt that Freenas is trying to display at 2560+ pixels wide. What are the monitors you are trying to attach? It would help to have more information.

Bikerchris

Patron
I doubt that Freenas is trying to display at 2560+ pixels wide. What are the monitors you are trying to attach? It would help to have more information.
Thanks for commenting, when I first set it up, it was using a large monitor via DVI. Since then the VGA monitors (12-14 inch) don't seem to show the console - they do show BIOS and that all goes perfectly well. I can also login to the GUI on a machine on the same network, also SSH without issue. I've since used the same monitors for installs of PF Sense and other OS's and all displayed as expected. I'm going to find a way to get more information as soon as possible - though as mentioned, this isn't that important, it's more an irritation than anything.