User authentication + file access control in NextCloud plugin?

Stilez

Guru
I'm planning to allow some (non technical) family members to access files remotely, and perhaps to use cloud features in general, with the NextCloud plugin (on 11.2-RELEASE). But I don't fully understand the way that NextCloud plugin would handle user authentication and file access, so I don't know if it will work as I want it to.

This is what I'm after:
  • NextCloud user authentication: I want to configure NextCloud to authenticate users using the OS itself. That is, if someone logs in as Alice, to NextCloud, I need to have created a user account for "Alice" in the FreeNAS GUI for them (and optionally made it a member of various Unix groups), and the remote user needs to have Alice's PW or certificate, or to pass the configured LDAP/RADIUS authentication, or whatever else FreeNAS is set up to require, in order for Alice to authenticate if she tried to login via say, CLI or SMB.

I know NextCloud had at one point, a "Unix user backend" extension/app but I don't know if it's still usable. If it isn't, then it seems to have has an "External User Support" extension/app but that's only showing as supporting up to NextCloud 14, not v15, and I'm not sure if it does what I need either.

I don't mind if I have to also create an "Alice" account in NextCloud (as well as in the FreeNAS UI), so long as her login will only be verified by the system's user-authentication processes. I don't want any user authentication info (PW/certs) entered within NextCloud itself - it should all be checked by the OS, and have been manually set up beforehand.

• NextCloud users' file operations: Assuming NextCloud can authenticate users by Unix password/certificate, my followup question is whether it will actually perform requested file operations using that user's UID/GID? That is, having authenticated Alice against some FreeNAS provided backend (Unix or whatever), when Alice tries to view+browse the file hierarchy or perform file operations, will NextCloud use Alice's account to do so, or will it use some generic "Nextcloud-user" account? This is important because my controls over what Alice can and can't do, are handled using ACLs based on Alice's Unix UID/GID. So if NextCloud uses some generic "nextcloud-backend-useraccount" for file access, the ACLs that control Alice's ability to do file operations won't be effective.
Can I do what I'm after, using the NextCloud plugin? If so, how do I do it?

If not, then can I do it in some other way, or by manually editing the config, or installing it without using the plugin system? Or what are my options?

D

dlavigne

Did you decide upon a solution for this? If so, how did it work out?