USB with FreeNAS 8.3.0R has Failed, planning to migrate to 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hsan

Dabbler
I have FreeNAS 8.3.0R operating with miniDLNA 1.0.24 amd64 on a HP N40L uServer on my LAN. FreeNAS was on a Sony 8GB USB stick, miniDLNA on the HDD. The HDD is WD Red 1.0T used as a basic CIFS storage disk and is setup with UFS. Jails are on the HDD.

Today the server went offline and when I investigated found the USB stick is not working... the server is looking for a boot file. Checks with two windows PC, even though they load a driver for the stick, do not show the stick as a drive.

...And of course I did not backup the USB stick.

As well as wanting to get my data back I am intending to use this as an opportunity to update to FreeNAS 9.3 on a new USB stick.

Questions:

1. Will it be 'straight forward' to mount the hard disk and recover my data and utilise the jails with 9.3 loaded on the USB stick or will some sort of translation be required?

2. Assuming this will happen again, can the new 9.3 boot file(s) on the USB stick be simply backed up (copied) to another stick or a windows 7 machine, or are there more to contend with?

3. As these are supposedly standard Windows CIFS, can I install the HDD into a windows box and read /copy the files?

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
1.) That's not going to be easy. FreeNAS is ZFS only since 9.3. IIRC you can still import UFS volumes, but only for the purpose of copying data over to the ZFS pool on new HDDs.
2.) There's a config backup option in the UI which is sufficient for most tasks. If you use encryption, backup that recovery key in a dozen places as well.
3.) CIFS is a network share system, not a filesystem. Windows doesn't understand the filesystem UFS.

Hsan

Dabbler
Thanks Marbus for yr reply.

So, confirming, I could build at 9.3 with a new HDD, mount the old drive and transfer the data to the new drive saved in ZFS format?

Failing that I'll re-build at 8.3.0R (it was 3 years ago but I should have initial files stored) and get everything off the disk... then build again at 9.3.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
So, confirming, I could build at 9.3 with a new HDD, mount the old drive and transfer the data to the new drive saved in ZFS format?
Yes, that's how it's meant to work, assuming you have enough drive ports available on the new system.

Hsan

Dabbler
Thanks for all your help guys.... finally got back to this and successfully re-built in 8.3.0. I'll off-load my files as a backup and migrate it to 9.3.x.

Status
Not open for further replies.