Migrate Freenas USB + HDD to Mirror drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hama4tux

Dabbler
Hi guys,

i need help as you know version 9.3 give us opinion have freenas system on same drive like data THATS wonderful. but now i am had dilemma how to do it

Running Configuration of my Freenas:
1 x USB stick, - freenas boot, system
1x HDD 2TB - data partition - a lot of jails, plugins, cifs services

What i want
2x HDD 2TB - in mirror with Freenas BOOT, System + DATA

I am thinking that i will try migrate USB stick to version 9.3 after resize data partiton an clone USB stick to HDD and after add next HDD to mirror

Did some one try it? its possible? i am scare:D becouse 3 weeks ago my Zyxel NSA310 loose all my data and I spend 3 days get my data back and migrate it to FREENAS:D i dont want repeat this...:D

Thanks Martin

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That is not supported and is most certainly a genuine Very Bad Idea (tm).

What you can do is mirror the boot device, using two USB drives.

gpsguy

You can also add a mirror your 2Gb hard disk. Since you're doing it after the fact, you'd need to do it from the command line. Search the forums for instructions on how to do it.

I'd hold off on upgrading to 9.3 beta for now. Just keep a backup flash drive and backup your configuration file on a regular basis.

hama4tux

Dabbler
Thanks for reply.

Anyway i need copy data from running HD to some other HD becouse i have some pending sectors .... is possible to copy whole disk and just change mount point? or Exist some utilites?

By the way sorry for stupid questions, i am using Freenas for 3 weeks:)

Martin

EDIT: If i try replace disk which is configrue like stripe - it will copy data from old drive to new drive? or not
upload_2014-11-15_12-12-22.png

Last edited:

sfcredfox

Patron
What you can do is mirror the boot device, using two USB drives.
Do you know of a thread that outlines the procedure for this? I can't find anything in the forum or the manual that outlines each step to mirror a USB key and have them both plugged in. Thanks.

Fraoch

Patron
Thanks for reply.

Anyway i need copy data from running HD to some other HD becouse i have some pending sectors .... is possible to copy whole disk and just change mount point? or Exist some utilites?

By the way sorry for stupid questions, i am using Freenas for 3 weeks:)

Martin

EDIT: If i try replace disk which is configrue like stripe - it will copy data from old drive to new drive? or not
View attachment 5509

OK wait a sec here...I'm far from an expert, but "striped" means RAID 0 - speed over redundancy or protection. If this is what you're using, get your data backed up now. Once that failing hard drive starts writing errors the data will start to be damaged without any means of recovery.

There is no way of having FreeNAS recover a failing stripe because there's no redundant data it can use. You need a mirror at least.

Between your previous NAS failing and this you're not having much luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.