Mirror boot USB with HDD

rmont

Dabbler
I installed my boot drive on an external USB stick (not mirrored).
I now have a spare HDD. Can I mirror the USB stick with the internal HDD even if they are 2 different drive types?

I tried to attach the new disk to the boot drive, but I get this error: [EZFS_BADTARGET] can only attach to mirrors and top-level disks.

Thanks for helping.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I now have a spare HDD. Can I mirror the USB stick with the internal HDD even if they are 2 different drive types?
Sure, it should be no problem. Covered here: https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U5/system.html#os-device-mirroring
I tried to attach the new disk to the boot drive, but I get this error: [EZFS_BADTARGET] can only attach to mirrors and top-level disks.
What version of the OS are you using?

That actually looks like it might be a bug because the boot pool is the one place it has always been possible to add a mirror device through the GUI.

Please tell more about the drive you are trying to add. The error is saying it is a bad target.

rmont

Dabbler
Thanks Chris for helping.

I followed the instructions on that page.

System -> Boot -> Boot Pool Status -> Attach

I can see the HDD is available as ada2.
It's a 500 Gb disk that was previously a one-disk pool that I detached and deleted.
I tried with the 'use all disk space' flag both on and off.

I am on a recently upgraded Truenas Core (TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE).

The Task manager show the failed tasks below. Both show the bad target error code if I expand the rows in the task manager.
1609956371249.png

Roberto