USB stick corrupt / Trouble Importing / Replacing Disk [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackrock

Explorer
Hey all. I had FreeNAS 8 installed and running (I think 8.02-RELEASE-amd64 is the version I had at the time).

My USB stick, I can only assume (based on other forum threads), is corrupt. I say this because I just freeze on "mounting local file systems:" and it stays there forever.

I used UFS Explorer to copy off factory-v1.db and freenas-v1.db from the USB drive, and I have them sitting on my PC right now.

My question is, can I reload the latest FreeNAS and somehow get that DB loaded back into the stick, so that I can access the data on my 6 HDD's that are set up in ZFS-1? I don't think there's any way to get that data without the info in the FreeNAS database, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm sitting tight until I hear from somebody on how to proceed here....

I wanted to add that I also get the Geometry does not match label error....

ProtoSD

MVP
Shackrock,

Your data will be fine, you can reinstall FreeNAS anytime on a new stick and boot it up and do an Auto Import and your data will be there. However, if you want you can reinstall FreeNAS, boot it up, "mount -uw /" and copy freenas-v1.db back to /data and reboot and you should have all of your settings restored.

shackrock

Explorer
Shackrock,

Your data will be fine, you can reinstall FreeNAS anytime on a new stick and boot it up and do an Auto Import and your data will be there. However, if you want you can reinstall FreeNAS, boot it up, "mount -uw /" and copy freenas-v1.db back to /data and reboot and you should have all of your settings restored.

Trying this now, I hope you're right! haha. I literally have been freaking out for about 2 hours trying to fix things.

shackrock

Explorer
Ok it found my volume after a few minutes. I clicked import, and it's taking a while - how long should this take? It's been about 20 minutes, no luck yet, just still shows the "auto import volume" screen with the options grayed out (because I already clicked import).

ProtoSD

MVP
Hmmm, it shouldn't be taking THAT long. Don't freak out. What happens if you do a "zpool status -v" from the command line?

ProtoSD

MVP
Ok, now you can freak out just a little ;)

Its possible your config database was corrupt, but the data in your pool doesnt depend on the database. Try a clean install of FreeNAS or possibly a Factory reset, then go directly to Storage-Volumes and do the Auto-Import again, it should happen pretty quickly no more than a minute.

If that doesnt work, post back and we'll try an import from the command line. I'm assuming your settings arent as important as your data ;)

(Yes, I know there arent any quotes or apostrophes where they should be, the bloody forums are jacked up right now....)

shackrock

Explorer
Well, this is a completely fresh install. I didn't save any settings from the last version. So the flash drive was completely re-flashed using the 8.04 img file, that's all...

I just went to factory restore in the settings tab. It freezes on "please wait..." just like the auto import froze after I clicked the button. Is there something wrong with the img possibly??

shackrock

Explorer
Ok re-flashed with x64 version, same flash drive again.

Booted up no problem. Went to IP address, storage, clicked auto import. Took about 3 minutes of it saying "loading..." with the blue progress bar, and then it lists my one and only pool: "DEC2010[zfs]". I click import volume. The blue buttons turn to grey, and are unclickable, and it just stays there. I can move the pop-up window aroudn all I want, or X out of it if I wanted to, etc... but nothing happens.

ProtoSD

MVP
Ok, sorry to leave you hanging there, I had to leave for a meeting. I *think* I remember a bug that had to do with either special characters like [] OR zfs being part of the pool name. I'll have to take a look unless William G. sees this and remembers. You could post the output of "zpool import" from the command line. I won't be back online here until around 3pm your time on Wed. Don't freak out and do anything, your data should be fine. You might need to rename your pool before trying to import it, but that's not too hard.

EDIT: I just noticed you said in your Title that you're using 8.02/8.03, you might try reflashing with 8.04 and then try the Auto Import. I'm almost certain there was a bug with importing that had to do with pool names.

shackrock

Explorer
Back myself too (bedtime for me) - ha.

So I WAS using 8.02 at the time of the "crash." I've been reflashing with the 8.04 RELEASE.

Also, I think my name was only "DEC2010" - I'm pretty sure that the "[zfs]" was added by FreeNAS in that list. Almost positive.

shackrock

Explorer
it takes about 3 minutes, then returns:

Code:
  pool: DEC2010
    id: 12157854186981846691
 state: ONLINE
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
config:

DEC2010                                         ONLINE
          raidz1                                        ONLINE
            gptid/218a2962-c5d4-11e0-8fd1-0025900d25b0  ONLINE
            gpt/disk1                                   ONLINE
            gpt/disk2                                   ONLINE
            gpt/disk3                                   ONLINE
            gpt/disk4                                   ONLINE
            gpt/disk5                                   ONLINE

There are physically 6 2TB disks (WD Green Drives).

P.S. I'm in the IRC room if you're around.

ProtoSD

MVP
It's been years since I've used IRC, I supposed I should try it again, but not at the moment.

How much data do you have in your pool?

If you don't have a ton of data, I'd do an import from the command line and then do a scrub. If you import from the command line, it'll only last until you reboot, but if it works and scrub runs ok, then it has to be a GUI issue. Also, do you have any datasets?

From the command line:

mount -uw /
mkdir /mnt/DEC2010
zpool import DEC2010

Your pool should be online and you should be able to access your files and run a scrub.

Let me know how that turns out.

ProtoSD

MVP
A scrub is like running "chkdsk" for DOS, you should really run it every couple of weeks. It verifies your file checksums and makes sure there are not any errors with your files. It can take awhile if you have a lot of data, for my 5 disk z2 pool with 4.6TB of data it takes 12 to 15 hours.

You run it like this:

zpool scrub DEC2010

You can check it's status with "zpool status -v"

or stop it with

"zpool scrub -s DEC2010" (I think that's right, I just did it the other day, now my brain foggy! ;) )

shackrock

Explorer
I get the error: cannot import 'DEC2010': one or more devices is currently unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.