USB Monitor

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You mean a DisplayLink device? No, those things rely on host software to render and pipe the screen data over USB.

Why would you want to use one?

Adcam

Cadet
Yes a DisplayLink device. I figured as much but wasnt sure if there was a way to install the drivers into TrueNAS and make it work. I have a USB monitor that I no longer use for my PC and instead of switching inputs on my monitor to view the CLI when needed, I was trying to use the USB monitor instead.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes a DisplayLink device. I figured as much but wasnt sure if there was a way to install the drivers into TrueNAS and make it work.

No, TrueNAS is an appliance and you are not expected to be able to install drivers. Many of the toolchain bits that would be needed for this aren't even included in the OS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And looking at the server's console should really be a very exceptional thing. The-server-is-on-the-bench-for-maintenace kind of rare.

Adcam

Cadet
And looking at the server's console should really be a very exceptional thing. The-server-is-on-the-bench-for-maintenace kind of rare.
I have an unavoidable boot holdup that I have to manually hit some keys everytime the server reboots.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I have an unavoidable boot holdup that I have to manually hit some keys everytime the server reboots.

That is not likely to be happening within the NASware. Is this happening within the boot loader, or is it in the BIOS/UEFI? Either way, the necessary software to drive a USB monitor is not going to be loaded at the point where you would need it to be loaded, so the USB monitor would not be useful.

Adcam

Cadet
That is not likely to be happening within the NASware. Is this happening within the boot loader, or is it in the BIOS/UEFI? Either way, the necessary software to drive a USB monitor is not going to be loaded at the point where you would need it to be loaded, so the USB monitor would not be useful.
The holdup is from the UEFI. Its a program I have tried disabling. Its a warning diagnostics system. It hangs cause it says the cpu fan isnt functioning (which it is just fine). Was told its an issue with the MB and the MB is new. Its not a big deal just a nuisance. Thank you for the USB monitor help. Its a shame but thank you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What hardware is this so that we can steer well clear of it?

Adcam

Cadet
Dell Support Assistant, On-board Diagnostics from a Dell Optiplex. I had just moved this server over to this due to a RAM malfunction in a Acer now stuck with this annoying hold up. Once I build my next high end gaming pc im taking the beast I use now and turning it into a TrueNAS server.