Connected Monitor/Screen Output - Can I "Show" an app or something?

IAmOrion

Dabbler
Bit of a random question, from a previous post, I'm super new to this and TrueNAS, but had another question and typically not sure where this falls category wise.

Anyways, I currently have a monitor connected to my TrueNAS Server (I connected it for the initial setup). I have an old 5" HDMI monitor I wanted to utilize with this but not sure it's possible -- I connected the small 5" display via HDMI, and once TrueNAS is booted, it sits at the "Console Setup" dos/command style output, showing me the IP address and awaiting me to input a number if I wanted. I'm assuming this is the expected/intended behaviour since the continued setup is done via a web browser. But this led me to question, can I display something else somehow?

As an example, AIDA64 has nice customizable sensor panel things... I appreciate that wouldn't run on TrueNAS (I don't think) but basically I want to customise what is shown on the screen, is this possible or will it only show debug/console output here?

I'm open to other ideas such as using a Pi Zero to output to the screen instead, but I'd like a way to display info from the TrueNAS server.
Imagine it like AIDA64 Remote Monitoring

Redcoat

MVP
Last edited:

IAmOrion

Dabbler
Yes, just the console.

TrueNAS itself has such information available on the Dashboard.

IPMI can also give you information if you have it.

Ah, yeah, the dashboard is pretty nice, although I notice it's not customizable. I would want to hide the Help part, and also change the display order of the 'widgets' which as far as I know is not possible

Edit: Just found an older post where someone said could use Grafana - I've no idea what it is and looking into it is confusing the hell outta me but I shall persevere ha

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In SCALE you can do that... at some point CORE and SCALE were supposed to go back to sharing the GUI a little more closely, but I guess 13 wasn't the time for that.

IAmOrion

Dabbler
In SCALE you can do that... at some point CORE and SCALE were supposed to go back to sharing the GUI a little more closely, but I guess 13 wasn't the time for that.

Oh what! So in TrueNAS SCALE you *CAN* modify the dashboard? Or you mean you can output something else to the attached display?

Every "DIY Budget NAS" guide I've come across all say use TrueNAS Core so never paid attention to the difference between CORE and SCALE.
Should I change to SCALE ? (At this point, everything is a "fresh" install, so there's no data to be lost, so starting again wouldn't matter)

Redcoat

MVP
Oh what! So in TrueNAS SCALE you *CAN* modify the dashboard?
Yes. I don't use Scale so I'm not sure to what degree (I suppose I should spin up my VM Scale and investigate).

You might also want to look into Netdata (a Community plugin - though I'm not a plug-in advocate) and search for posts on Grafana by author @Patrick M. Hausen, a serious contributor here.

Last edited:

IAmOrion

Dabbler
Yes.

You might also want to look into Netdata (a Community plugin - though I'm not a plug-in advocate) and search for posts on Grafana by author @Patrick M. Hausen, a serious contributor here.

Interesting - I'll take a look at his posts.

If SCALE can do the dashboard stuff anyways, is there any reason for NOT using it? I looked at the comparison chart, it seems to most likely things to affect me as a home user is that SCALE uses Linux containers and not Plugins like the CORE version does. Am I missing something? Why do most people choose CORE over SCALE?

sretalla