USB Keeps Disconnecting - Not Sure Where to Go Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

crogers

Cadet
I have a feeling that my problem might be with my hardware, but I will put as much information in this post and cross my fingers. Here is my hardware configuration.

FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)

AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 Processor

BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB Flash Drive (which is running the FreeNAS installation)

Here is the problem. I am able to install FreeNas fine on the flash drive and the server boots up correctly. I am able to log into the web gui and perform various functions perfectly. I was able to set up the hard drive, create users, install a file system, NIC, etc. Basically it seems like FreeNas is functioning perfectly. Inevitably after I log out of the web gui, some time in the future the server will go off line and I am no longer able to access it via the gui. When I look at the server monitor there are a bunch of lines in the screen that I don't understand (please look at the attached photo). It looks like the server is disconnecting the USB drive. I'm not sure what to do about this. I have tried to do some things on my own but with no luck. If I restart the server before I go to bed it will be down by morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 320

ProtoSD

MVP
I would try a different flash drive, sometimes they're just flaky, this looks like it could be one of those.

crogers

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I have tried a couple of different USB drives so far, which is why I am beginning to think it might be a hardware issue with me or something in the bios settings. I will try another USB drive tonight, I have an 8GB I can use. Got up this morning and the same thing had happened. I was unable to access the server via the GUI. One interesting thing to me is that it is still sending me emails every 30 minutes. Each email is an error message because it can't do something it needs to do but that must me that it is not completely hung right?

ProtoSD

MVP
Once FreeNAS boots from the USB, it runs completely from RAM, which is why you're getting the emails, but it does write some reporting data to /data (on usb) and since your USB has disconnected that can't happen.

Only guess I can think of is a heat related hardware problem. You could try opening the case and putting some external fan blowing inside and see if the problem goes away. Have you tried another USB port?

Status
Not open for further replies.