Status
Not open for further replies.

apdragon

Dabbler
Hi, I am trying to install the latest FreeNAS version on a

Foxconn A7GM-S motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200
2 Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB

I got it to install on a usb flash drive but when I go to the Web GUI there are no drives in the member disk drop down? Am I missing something? Setting in the BIOS? Thanks in advance.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Probably freebsd doesnt play well with your disk controller...
Ssh to the box and run "sysctl kern.disks" to be sure

apdragon

Dabbler
ok so I did that with Putty and the disks don't show. How would I find out what kind of disk controller foxconn uses? I guess I could buy a sata controller....any recommendations?

When I do run the setup it looks like it is trying to read from those drives but it times out.....I have the settings in the BIOS as ACHI for SATA

MrBobC

Dabbler
I did that with Putty and my disks did show up, but they are not available in the GUI to make a volume. I have tried making the volume in the shell with "zpool create raidz2 tv2 da0 da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 da6 da7", but it says it failed to mount it and create a mountpoint, so then I did "zpool create -m /mnt/tv2 raidz2 da0 da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 da6 da7", and I get no errors, but I cannot access it in the GUI and when I use the shell after a reboot it says they are all corrupted. Help?

apdragon

Dabbler
ok I guess there might be some issues with my motherboards SB700 chipset with FreeNas 8.0. I will test this tonight since I was able to get FreeNas 7 Stable to install and recognize my hard drives.....

apdragon

Dabbler
ok so I tried it with FreeNas 8 and it did not work, so I guess there is some issue if version 7 works but not 8. If I am wrong someone help me please...:p

raulfg3

Dabbler
Your problem is NOT your board, are your disk

Board: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000371

Disk: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st1500dl003-bcuda-green-sata-6gb-1.5tb-hd&vgnextoid=2035439d45c0b210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f424072516d8c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US&reqPage=Support

Your disk are SATA 3 (6GB) and do not work well with certain SATA 2 (3GB) controllers, so my advice is: change your disk and buy SATA 2 Disk.

apdragon

Dabbler

I am able to get this to work with FreeNas 7 but not the latest version 8. So I am not sure why that would be. I think I have a SATA2 drive laying around and will test your suggestion. Thanks

apdragon

Dabbler
ok so I tried my other hard drive that was SATA2 and it still didn't recognize it.

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
try changing the SATA controller type in the BIOS from AHCI to Legacy or IDE and see if that makes a difference?

apdragon

Dabbler
got it to work!

Ok so just an FYI, my issue isn't with the hard drives or setting it to ACHI or IDE. It was just updating the BIOS. Once I did this the hard drives and cd drive shows up when I go to choose which device I would like to install FreeNAS on. Man this took a while to even figure out because it would work under FreeNAS 7 but not 8. Well off to testing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.