USB corrupted, no configuration file

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1198

Dabbler
Hi:
I installed Freenas and been running for about 1.5 years without issue. Now, the USB drive must be corrupted because it won't boot. I don't have a configuration file. I have an ISO CD, but afraid to do anything that might harm my data on the drives. I believe the version of Freenas is 7 point something, definitely before version 8.

What is the best way to get back online so I can access my data without risk of deleting the existing data?
Thanks for your advice.
tim1198

gpsguy

For version 0.7, please head over to NAS4Free for support. FreeNAS 0.7 was renamed NAS4Free.

FreeNAS 8/9 is a different product.

tim1198

Dabbler
This is a dumb question. When I go to nas4free.org, it asks for user authentication; and since I don't have an account, I don't have a way to get in. And there is no way to "sign up" for an account. I've tried my account credentials from freenas.org as well as sourceforge. Neither worked.

How do I get into nas4free.org?

Sorry for the cross post, but maybe somebody can please kindly help.

gpsguy

That authentication box doesn't normally appear - the link normally takes you straight to their site. I just checked to see if they have a Twitter account. According to it, the site is down for maintenance.

tim1198

Dabbler
Thanks, that makes more sense. It was confusing since I had never been there before. Thanks for checking.
Tim1198

tim1198

Dabbler
I think I was wrong with my version. I had a CDROM from when I did this a few years back, installed it onto another flash drive (call it USB drive 2) and see that the version is Freenas 8.0.2

I now think I'm in the correct forum (please let me know if this is not correct). So I can boot up the system but don't see any data drives through the web interface. I think I have to do some configuration. I've also managed to get the "freenas-v1.db" file from the corrurpted usb drive (call it USB drive 1) in ubuntu and put in onto a 3rd usb drive.

I can boot with USB drive 2 and wish to import the freenas-v1.db. How do I import this "freenas-v1.db" that is on the USB drive 3

Again, if I'm in the wrong forum for 8.0.2, please let me know. Thanks you for your help.
Tim

gpsguy

Yes, with v8.02, you are in the correct forum. If you haven't already done so, go ahead and reinstall 8.x on a new flash drive.

You can boot it, get the IP address and using the webgui restore the configuration file that you were able to recover from the corrupt flash drive.

Sent from my phone

gpsguy

btw, once you're operational again, consider upgrading to v8.3.2 (http://cdn.freenas.org/). I remember there being some software vulnerabilities in 8.0.x. Even if you're considering upgrading to v9, start with an upgrade to 8.3.x first.

tim1198

Dabbler
Yes, with v8.02, you are in the correct forum. If you haven't already done so, go ahead and reinstall 8.x on a new flash drive.

You can boot it, get the IP address and using the webgui restore the configuration file that you were able to recover from the corrupt flash drive.

Sent from my phone

Thanks GPSGuy. I'm going through the menus in the WebGUI and don't see anyway to restore the configuration file. I'm also looking through the documentation and am not locating it after a few hours of trying. Please help me with how to do this.
Thanks again.,
Tim

tim1198

Dabbler
Thanks GPSGuy. I'm going through the menus in the WebGUI and don't see anyway to restore the configuration file. I'm also looking through the documentation and am not locating it after a few hours of trying. Please help me with how to do this.
Thanks again.,
Tim

Update: I moved the "freenas-v1.db" from the corrupted usb to the fresh usb by mounting both usb's and copying over the freenas-v1.db to /data/freenas-v1.db. But then when I rebooted, got an error: "Solaris: WARNING: Can't open objset for Raid1"

Now I am stuck. I'm willing to try something different. Is there really a way to load this configuration file from the WebUI?

I've also tried "auto import feature" and it just hung.

Please help.
Thanks,
Tim

gpsguy

I wouldn't have copied the config file back. I'd recreate the boot drive and restore the configuration using the webgui.

You should find the option under System/Settings/General. There are options to Save Config and Upload Config. You'd want the latter.

tim1198

Dabbler
I'm sorry, but the there are no options under settings. I wonder if I have to do some configuration before these things show up. (please see screen captures).

Maybe in 8.0.x, these options don't exist. I'm also open to 8.3.2 upgrade. Of course, I'd prefer to be operational first, then upgrade. But it seems like the option for restoring the configuration file is not possible from the WebGUI. Any other thoughts?
Thanks for your help and support.
Tim

Attachments

• settings.PNG
    settings.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 351
  • services.PNG
    services.PNG
    61.6 KB · Views: 364
  • sysrtem info.PNG
    sysrtem info.PNG
    58.1 KB · Views: 342

gpsguy

Did you try recreating the flash drive and checking for the upload (restore),

I know the options were in 8.0.3, since I still had a saved copy of that manual.

Rather than trying to restore your configuration file right now - try reinstalling FreeNAS and Auto Import(ing) your pool.

Sent from my phone

tim1198

Dabbler
Yep, I create a new flash drive each time I do this to ensure that I start fresh. When I create it from the CD Rom, I don't get a restore option in the menu.

Previously, I've also tried a fresh flash drive and "auto-import" from webGUI. It hangs at this step.

If I just create the volumes from fresh install, can I access my data then? Or will it erase my existing data?

I'm also open to upgrading to 8.3.x to enable an import feature. Just want to make sure I don't destroy data while experimenting.
Thanks for your help,.
Tim

gpsguy

Don't create new volumes on your existing disks - you'll loose your existing data.

Sent from my phone

Dusan

Guru
Hmm, few things to try:
  • Please post output of:
    camcontrol devlist
    gpart show
    glabel status
    zpool
    import
  • Try another browser, maybe the upload config button will show up.
  • Try auto-importing the pool in FreeNAS 8.3.2 and if that doesn't work try 9.1.1.
  • 3GB of memory is way too low for ZFS. If possible, try to auto import the pool on a machine with more memory (8GB would be ideal).

tim1198

Dabbler
Update: I tried 9.2 with a fresh USB and was able to import the freenas-v1.db from the WebGUI. It looks like it configured my shares and disks without issue. However, I cannot access any of these disks on the network.

There are 4 partitions on the Raid1 drives (Data, downloads, misc, test). What do I need to do next to enable/troubleshoot? It may be that the 8.0.3 database is not compatible with 9.2. If so, Please let me know.

By the way, I couldn't find a 8.3.1 iso anywhere on the web. I got a link to GitHub, but don't know how to download the ISO file to burn to CD. I'll also try that if somebody can educate me.
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Tim

Attachments

• 9 CIFS shares.PNG
    9 CIFS shares.PNG
    66.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 9 storage.PNG
    9 storage.PNG
    70.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 9 system.PNG
    9 system.PNG
    63.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 9 view disks.PNG
    9 view disks.PNG
    75.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 8 github.PNG
    8 github.PNG
    70.1 KB · Views: 353

Dusan

Guru
There are 4 partitions on the Raid1 drives (Data, downloads, misc, test). What do I need to do next to enable/troubleshoot?
Please post output of:
camcontrol devlist
gpart show
glabel status
zpool import

tim1198

Dabbler
Hi Dusan:
Thank you for your help. Please see the outputs attached.
Tim

Attachments

• 9 camcontrol.PNG
    9 camcontrol.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 9 gpart show.PNG
    9 gpart show.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 9 glabel.PNG
    9 glabel.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 348
Status