USB Boot on MSI G41M4 (MS-7592): no start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello out there all over the world.

At first I am glad you guys did it to FreeNAS 8 Final.

We have been using FreeNas for almost 3 years now,
but I never signed up for the forum, because the NAS Server ran flawlessly all the time.

Now that the Mainboard of the oldest NAS has been broke up,
I was forced to rebuild the NAS (old motherboard was a g31 board from MSI), I used the new version of FreeNAS, because the Interface looks more professional and I really like it.

But unfurtenately it seems like the Board isn't able t boot from usb using a installation on the USB stick (it is an noname 512MB USB stick).

Any suggestions.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Müller

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Thomas,

FreeNAS 8 needs a 1GB USB key.

-Will

Yes, I did set it up to boot from USB.

After I posted here in this forum, I tried a Trekstor 2 GB USB stick, but with no sucess.

I have no temporaly set it up with an old HDD as a boot device.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Müller

sadokath

Dabbler
Hi Thomas,

i have had the same problem (ZOTAC NM10-DTX WiFi cant boot from usb as well)
i solved it via DeLOCK SATA Flash Module vertical SSD Stick (1GB).
this thing is like an usb stick but is pluged in directly on a sata port.
you have the advantages of an usb stick (silent, very low voltage) on a non usb-boot board bought by just one sata slot (on my board i have 6 of them).

this is how it looks like:
21fqrLhPWoL._SL160_.jpg

Cheers!
Sadokath

sadokath

Dabbler
oh, another idea would be to boot over pxe what just tells the box to boot from its usb device.
i guess that would work too but is way more dirty ^^

esamett

Patron
I bought Transcend IDE flash drive 1gb from tiger direct for about $25. works like a charm.

The delock device seems to be nice, but it seems like it isn't shipping to Cologne / Germany at a good price (seems to be about 50€ with shipping).

The IDE device would be an alternative, if it runs flawless and fast, maybe I should rather do a research on availlabillity in Germany for a "good" price or I just keep it the way it runs now (with the old Seagate harddrive).

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Müller

esamett

Patron
if you don't need the drive bay. also the old drive will fail before array. that should be recoverable however.

Forgot to mention it is only: Western Digital 1 TB hdd s-ataII (no raid/zfs).

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Müller

sadokath

Dabbler
The delock device seems to be nice, but it seems like it isn't shipping to Cologne / Germany at a good price (seems to be about 50€ with shipping).

The IDE device would be an alternative, if it runs flawless and fast, maybe I should rather do a research on availlabillity in Germany for a "good" price or I just keep it the way it runs now (with the old Seagate harddrive).

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Müller

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p663443/pid/geizhals

Status
Not open for further replies.