Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBobC

Dabbler
Are there any UPSs that work with FreeNAS 8? I see in the old forums that some work in 0.7. Was wondering if there was a list? Couldn't seem to find anything on the FreeBSD 8 list. Thanks!

B

Bohs Hansen

can't copy paste them from the GUI comboex, but (at least in beta3) there is a very long list of UPS drivers to pick between under: Services -> UPS -> Settings

Milhouse

Guru
It's very much a new and barely tested feature (just arrived in 8.0.1-BETA3), however my assumption would be a UPS that worked in FN7 stands a very good chance of working in FN8, but since this feature is so new it might be worth waiting a little longer.

In my case an APC BF500 worked fine with FN7, can't test with 8.0.1-BETA3 as I need network UPS support and email notifications are not working for me any more (googlemail account).

MrBobC

Dabbler
I have beta 2, will have to try beta 3. I was looking at the BN1250G by APC that they carry at Sam's Club. I am planning on using that for my two media servers totaling 42 HDDs. Would the 1250 be enough for that? It's 1250VA and 740W.

Tekkie

Patron
Use one of the free internet based UPS calculators to find out if the 1250VA/740W is enough ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I doubt that is enough unless you plan to use it only as a temporary buffer and immediately shut down your NAS devices. You need to figure out how long you desire the PCs to remain operational before having to shut down. I would recommend something close to 2000VA. Since you said it was two media servers, two less expensive 1500VA UPS would go a long way. I love my 1500VA from APC, had it for 6 years now, replaced the two batteries once (last year). Buy the correct one and you can add external batteries to extend the run time.

42 drives sounds like a beast of a machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.