UPS not connecting or connecting then disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
My GeekSquad UPS (rebranded Cyber Power) was working with my old hardware (AMD non-ECC), but, now that I have replaced that by a Supemicro X10SL7-F with ECC RAM, the UPS either does not connect at all or connects at first but then disconnects.

I've seen suggestions to set the port to /dev/usbhid-ups or to auto, but there are no such options in the drop-down menu: I've tried typing them in and restarting the UPS service, but it remains at OFF.

I then see a message on the console to check /var/db/nut/upsd.pid, but there is no such file.

Yatti420

Wizard

Z300M

Guru
What is the model? Any errors when you connect the UPS via USB? Verified compatibility? Did you upgrade FreeNAS versions etc with new hardware?.. http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/UPS
GeekSquad 1285VA. It always worked with the old hardware, but I don't know what port I had selected at the time. I was still on FreeNAS 9.2.1-RELEASE when I changed motherboards, etc. Same problem after upgrading to 9.2.1.1.

"Show console messages" is enabled; that's where I see the message about checking /var/db/nut/upsd.pid.

If I unplug the USB cable, I see: "ugen0.2: at usbus0 (disconnected)" but even that does not show as an available port in the drop-down menu, and typing it in doesn't solve the problem: the UPS service still will not start.

krikboh

Patron
Do you have USB 3.0 disabled on your motherboard? I assume yes since FreeNAS does boot, but sounds like a USB issue.

Z300M

Guru
Do you have USB 3.0 disabled on your motherboard? I assume yes since FreeNAS does boot, but sounds like a USB issue.

The only USB 3.0 capability is an internal connector to which two of the front-panel ports are connected, but the UPS is plugged into one of the motherboard rear ports, which are all USB 2.0.

krikboh

Patron
Odd that the console would show the USB port when you plug/unplug the UPS, but it is not available in the drop down for the UPS setup???

Z300M

Guru
Odd that the console would show the USB port when you plug/unplug the UPS, but it is not available in the drop down for the UPS setup???

I entered usbhid-ups manually and rebooted, and reenabled the UPS service. It worked -- BUT a few hours later I saw:
Code:
freenas usbhid-ups[6721]: got disconnected by another driver: Device busy

krikboh

Patron
Are you choosing /dev/ugen0.2 for the Port and usbhid-ups for the driver? A side note, I did some quick research and this appears to be a rebranded Tripp-Lite SMART 1000LCD, not CyberPower.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Actually, that *CAN* be "normal" on certain Cyberpower UPS's. The consumer grade cyberpower UPS's seem to have this issue where they can disconnect from 1-5 times per day momentarily from the usbhid-ups driver with this "Driver busy" error. Those of us with the error tend to ignore it, and everything is fine.

Yatti420

Wizard
I haven't noticed that once so far :)

Z300M

Guru
Are you choosing /dev/ugen0.2 for the Port and usbhid-ups for the driver? A side note, I did some quick research and this appears to be a rebranded Tripp-Lite SMART 1000LCD, not CyberPower.
Whatever the original is, it worked OK with the previous motherboard, etc. And "1285VA" is the marking on the front, but on the underside I see "GS-1285U", and "Geek Squad ups 2 GS1285U USB (usbhid-ups)" is one of the devices in the FreeNAS drop-down menu.

GaiusBaltar

Explorer

selecting the port doesnt do anything anymore (unless there are multiple UPS devices connected to the system. just setting it to [auto] is all that is required from what ive read/been told.

Actually, that *CAN* be "normal" on certain Cyberpower UPS's. The consumer grade cyberpower UPS's seem to have this issue where they can disconnect from 1-5 times per day momentarily from the usbhid-ups driver with this "Driver busy" error. Those of us with the error tend to ignore it, and everything is fine.

That's good to know. I created a thread a little while back regarding a similar issue with my CyberPower UPS - http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...ected-message-yet-ups-is-communicating.18177/. while i do get disconnect messages at times, ive never had an issue of it not connecting at all as the OP has had.
At this point everything still works as intended, i just end up getting 10-20 disconnect messages a day in my syslog. at this point i simply ignore them (but REALLY wish i could find a way to suppress them).

Z300M

Guru
Whatever the original is, it worked OK with the previous motherboard, etc. And "1285VA" is the marking on the front, but on the underside I see "GS-1285U", and "Geek Squad ups 2 GS1285U USB (usbhid-ups)" is one of the devices in the FreeNAS drop-down menu.
I plugged the USB cable into a different motherboard port and now see no reports of communication failure, BUT I have a bunch of console messages such as:
Code:
Feb 26 10:32:17 freenas root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0764 product 0x0501 bus uhub0

and it appears that "vendor 0x0764 product 0x0501" is the UPS.

Yatti420

Wizard
Can you override the polling value with the driver? I swear I read somewhere that changing poll values helped with those issues.. If its model related I don't know if it can be avoided.. It would bug me though to see it in console..

Code:
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2

GaiusBaltar

Explorer
I plugged the USB cable into a different motherboard port and now see no reports of communication failure, BUT I have a bunch of console messages such as:
Code:
Feb 26 10:32:17 freenas root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0764 product 0x0501 bus uhub0

and it appears that "vendor 0x0764 product 0x0501" is the UPS.

there's a fix (well more of a workaround) for that that i found as I too had that issue:
http://blog.grogscave.net/2013/12/suppressing-messages-in-freenasfreebsd.html

mount the root partition in read/write mode by issuing "mount -uw /"

then edit the following 2 files:
/etc/devd.conf
/conf/base/etc/devd.conf

search each file for "Unknown USB"
above the "nomatch 10" statement that contains the "Unknown USB" text, add the following code to each file:

Code:
nomatch 10 {
    match "bus" "uhub[0-9]+";
    match "vendor" "0x0764";
    match "product" "0x0501";
};

save the files and remount / as ReadOnly via "mount -ur /"
then restart the devd service "service devd restart"

no more syslog spam

GaiusBaltar

Explorer
Can you override the polling value with the driver? I swear I read somewhere that changing poll values helped with those issues.. If its model related I don't know if it can be avoided.. It would bug me though to see it in console..

Code:
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2

that does help slightly (in my case with the disconnect issues). where as i was getting them every few minutes, i added the parameter "pollinterval=10" to the UPS service in the GUI. that reduced the number of disconnect spam to every few hrs.

Z300M

Guru
This !@$$% thing has made a liar of me again: I had to reboot, and now I again have no communication between the UPS and the computer.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This !@$$% thing has made a liar of me again: I had to reboot, and now I again have no communication between the UPS and the computer.
Well, quit being a liar and start being honest. ;)

Yes, I *had* to go there. :D

Yatti420

Wizard
Make sure it's truly overwritten.. Not sure if it can be done..

Status
Not open for further replies.