UPS Message Decoding

ZiggyGT

Contributor
I have a APC 750 UPS connection on a USB port. These are the messages I am getting. I cannot seem to find documentation to tell me exactly what they mean. All I expect from the UPS is ride though momentary glitches on the line and a orderly shutdown. It seems to do that.
NOTIFICATION: 'LOWBATT'
UPS: 'ups'
Statistics recovered:
1) Battery charge (percent)
battery.charge: 100 {If battery is 100% charged why do I get this message? What does this setting mean?]
2) Battery level remaining (percent) when UPS switches to Low Battery (LB)
battery.charge.low: 10 {what does this setting mean? Is my battery shot?]
3) Battery runtime (seconds)
battery.runtime: 135 [this is not a lot of time but adequate]
4) Battery runtime remaining (seconds) when UPS switches to Low Battery (LB)
battery.runtime.low: 120 [this is enough time to shut down the system}

I would appreciate the help to understand this and see where this is documented. Here is what the setup looks like in TRUENAS
1641189578483.png

NugentS

MVP
Unless you have a monster of a TrueNAS system I would guess that the batteries in the UPS are shot
How old are they?

ZiggyGT

Contributor
I have to take the system down to check. When the backup and install are done I will check. I did not do a good job of documenting that system. All this started after a 2hr power outage. System shut down properly.

Redcoat

MVP

ZiggyGT

Contributor
TrueNAS/FreeNAS uses NUT - Network UPS Tools - see https://networkupstools.org/ for the background information. There's a lot to wade through but it should get you started understanding your configuration file in conjunction with @Spearfoot 's great resource found here at https://www.truenas.com/community/r...rt-for-single-or-multiple-freenas-servers.30/
Thanks for the great resource. I did some searches before posting I dumped the data and trying to analyze now. and figure out how to set some of the info. My Batteries look as old as Methuselah but I don't think so. Have to do some disassembly to see the labels I posted.

NugentS

MVP
UPS batteries apparently last 3-5 years. I have found generally lower numbers are more likely.

ZiggyGT

Contributor
Messages resolved. A big thank you to the forum for pointing me in the right direction. My investigation was a little unconventional. I used Powerchute software 3.1 on my Windows machine to report instantaneous power consumption and battery condition on the server. I used a long extension cord to plug the status cable into my Windows machine. It did identify the weak battery. I replaced it and no more messages. That battery only could only manage 5min to hold up the 238 watts the Server draws. Bad news is the 60cents/day the server burns. That's the cost of fun I guess.

I found some of the APC Back-UPS units I have do not report all the data. There does not seem to be a way to update the firmware.