problem with ups?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think the files will be under /var/log/messages and then look at the text files. Some of those files rollover/delete over time.

ethereal

Guru
i couldn't see anything in the messages - so i will replace the ups to be safe

joeschmuck

Old Man
i couldn't see anything in the messages - so i will replace the ups to be safe
Okay but I guess I'm missing something like why you think the UPS failed. I'm just curious is all. Make sure you test the new UPS after it's been fully charged as well.

Cheers

ethereal

Guru
Okay but I guess I'm missing something like why you think the UPS failed. I'm just curious is all. Make sure you test the new UPS after it's been fully charged as well.

Cheers
see post 1 - truenas gave me an alert

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't want to beat you up about this but all I'm saying is that it appears you don't know why you got the message other than FreeNAS said your UPS was low.

The questions which I would want to answer if this happened to me are:
1. Did I have a power failure on the 1st of March and then how long did that power failure last?
2. What is the typical power draw on the system (determine how long a 390W UPS will last, meaning to a real test and time it)?
3. Do I have FreeNAS setup to power off within a few minutes or to run as long as possible before shutting down?

My concerns are:
1. Your UPS might be too small for your system setup. If you have monitors or other electronics then that pulls more power and you really do need to test it by pulling the UPS power cord out of the wall and time it. My 1000W UPS and my system with 4 hard drives doesn't last very long but long enough to handle brown-outs or short 20 minute outages.
2. You are replacing your UPS without knowing for certain it needs to be replaced, but if it's solely for peace of mind, then I fully understand that one.

ethereal

Guru
see post 3 - always 29% load on the ups - the ups is 5 years old and does not have a display so i cannot see anything about the ups.

when i got the alert about the low battery i bought a new ups the same day. but because i am disabled now and the ups replacement was going to be epic, i thought i would check to see if i actually need the new ups which is why i tested the ups. i am 93% sure the server crashed.

i have ordered longer power cable and sata cable.
the ups installation should be much easier

Last edited:

ethereal

Guru
there is a new ups in town, it only took about 15mins to do. when we have the chance we will have to remove the old one.