UPS Ever SinlineXL (unsupported by NUT) monitoring software installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

marweg67

Cadet
Hello FreeNAS Community

I have FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 server on Supermicro platform. It works great, but I have problem with third party UPS monitoring software. After many bad experiences with APC Smart-UPSes (there were problems witch APC hardware) I replaced it with EVER Sinline XL. Unfortunately it is not supported by NUT (confirmed by EVER manufacture) but it has own monitoring software compatible with FreeBSD 9.2 64-bit: Powersoft CLI 2.2.0. I don't know how to install Powersoft on FreeNAS and get it work properly.

OK, I can (and did it) install Powersoft on host system remounting root directory as writeable, but after FreeNAS upgrade to newer release (ex. next 9.2.x.x version) my Powersoft installation will be lost, won't it?

I can install Powersoft in jail and communicate with UPS (USB or COM2 connection) with no problem, but I don't know how to shutdown entire server from jail. I think it is impossible accordingly with jail idea.

So, the question is: How to properly install third party software (Powersoft) to communicate with UPS and shutdown FreeNAS due to power failure?

Thanks in advanced and sorry for my English.

PS.
Cyberjock and jgreco - many thanks for your guides and advices. You're great!

marweg67

Cadet
"OK, I can (and did it) install Powersoft on host system remounting root directory as writeable, but after FreeNAS upgrade to newer release (ex. next 9.2.x.x version) my Powersoft installation will be lost, won't it?"

And after reboot any changes at /etc/rc.d/ directory and /etc/rc.conf file are lost.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
"OK, I can (and did it) install Powersoft on host system remounting root directory as writeable, but after FreeNAS upgrade to newer release (ex. next 9.2.x.x version) my Powersoft installation will be lost, won't it?"

And after reboot any changes at /etc/rc.d/ directory and /etc/rc.conf file are lost.

Everything you said is correct.

The problem is you should NOT be installing software on the FreeNAS boot device. It has like 15MB of free space and it expects that space to be free for it's functions. What you are doing is unsupported and at your own risk.

marweg67

Cadet
Everything you said is correct.

The problem is you should NOT be installing software on the FreeNAS boot device. It has like 15MB of free space and it expects that space to be free for it's functions. What you are doing is unsupported and at your own risk.

Thank you for reply, cyberjock.

You are right, I know it. That's why I asked my question. So, is there any acceptable method to install UPS monitoring software or NUT is the only option and I have to return to APC back? Believe me, I replaced accus at my APC's several times during last two years, replaced all APC unit twice and it seems working good where 230V is in wall outlet but nobody knows what it will do after power failure. I have three EVER Sinline UPSes and they are rock solid and working good with linux and freebsd (with powersoft) but not with FreeNAS. I'm frustrated because it's my only really problem using my FreeNAS.

mjws00

Guru
The questions become: Are you willing to stray from the supported configuration? If you already have freebsd installations... why not run ZFS on them, and utilize the extra flexibility?

There is no way your hacks can survive an upgrade, but no reason why a stable config with a small single add-on to deal with a UPS should be abandoned completely. You could always document and just repeat when necessary. Choosing not to upgrade with out a VERY good reason. It is a pain to resize root and the other partitions, but not impossible by any stretch.

One way to resize freenas partitions there are lots of posts on this. All are AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If this is a HUGE install and your job is at stake. Buy a supported UPS. It seems you are competent and running multiple OSs and even freebsd. So weigh your options and test. Giving FreeNAS more room to breathe shouldn't break anything. Having to redo everything on an upgrade, might SUCK. Hitting a bizarre error and being unable to find someone that can help, might SUCK. But it is pretty easy to boot from a vanilla USB install if necessary, you can still restore your config. Not a terrible fail safe, imho.

Unfortunately this is the price of an appliance like system. I know they are looking at zfs, and writable in 9.3... not sure if it will help address things like this, but I suspect it might. Haven't had a chance to play with that yet.

Good Luck. You can't go wrong following cyber's advice and being conservative. You can definitely cause yourself pain by coloring outside the lines. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, I'd just wait for 9.3 which will provide for "some" additional flexibility with adding your own software. You're welcome to try resizing the FreeNAS partitions, but you'd also need to expand the memory devices to match. Of course, this isn't supported etc etc etc.

But, if this is work related I'd definitely go with a supported UPS. The long-term consequences of what you are doing are not known and you're going to want to stick with what works.

marweg67

Cadet
First, I'm sorry for late reply, but I had to go away at weekend.

mjws00, I thought about run NAS on FreeBSD with zfs and I think it is acceptable solution. I made this at home (RAIDZ) and it was working perfectly several years. But I had never have to restore my NAS because there was no failure. So, I can say I'm familiar with FreeBSD but ZFS (and iSCSI). And FreeNAS's GUI is great advantage for me.

cyberjock, "some" additional flexibility with adding your own software at FreeNAS 9.3 sounds great for me. I'll try one of recently nightly builds of 9.3. Do you know when stable version of 9.3 will be released?

Both of you say that supported UPS is the best solution. I know UPSes of two manufactures: APC (supported, unpredictable for me) and EVER (unsupported, rock solid). In Poland people say that is choice between plague and cholera. Of course, I can buy (if I get budget) another supported UPS, but it will be terra incognita for me.

Now, without hack 9.2.1.7, I think about three options:
  1. try nightly build and wait for 9.3 stable release
  2. make DIY NAS on FreeBSD
  3. use APC for power monitoring only, and supply NAS from EVER UPS.

Thank you for replies. I salute you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right now I wouldn't try to use 9.3 and expect it to be stable. Even I'm not using it on my test platform yet. ;)

To be honest, I probably wouldn't try to use it until it hits RC status. Things have been known to "go wrong".

marweg67

Cadet
Certainly, I don't want to run 9.3 at production environment now. I just want to see if it could be solution for me. And if it would be worth waiting for more stable version.

marweg67

Cadet
OK, I decided to install powersoft on root partition (9.2.1.7) now. Then I want buy supported UPS - new year means new budget. :) I think about one of Eaton's UPS.

I installed powersoft without resizing root partition because it's CLI software and occupies only 7 MB disk space. So 141 MB is still free.

Installation process was flawless: run single user mode; remount / with write permission; mount /conf/base/etc as /etc with mount_nullfs so needed changes at rc.conf and rc.d/ are permanent; run powersoft installer; edit /usr/share/powersoft/config.ini; umount /etc; remount / as read-only (may be not neccessary) and restart FreeNAS. Voila - FreeNAS can monitor power state. I want to put powersoft installer and right config.ini at one of zfs datasets with small script doing all above steps at "one click". It'll allow me easy installation of powersoft after FreeNAS upgrade.

I also made second USB stick with resized root partition (thanks mjws00) and it's working well too. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that it's not needed to resize root for additional 7 MB occupied space only. BTW, I don't understand why after resizing root, changes at fstab file (mount path for root) are needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.