APCUPSD-UPS (apcupsd and nut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horia Georgescu

Dabbler
Hello FreeNas Community,
I just joined the FreeNAS crowd, having decided to give FreeNAS a try, eventually perhaps replacing my old setup.

I did a quick search and the topic came up multiple times, but it was resolved differently than I've envisioned... I'll try to bring this up again, and see what the collective wisdom tells me to do.

Apcupsd runs on my Internet router, where my APC ups is connected through an USB port. The router (apcupsd) listens to status requests on port 3551, and it is "talking nicely" with other machines on my home network - I can see the UPS status properly reported.

FreeNAS runs "nut" instead. I didn't know about "nut" existence until having installed FreeNAS, and i was surprised to find out that it is not working in my setup. I started a bit of research, and learned more about it: ... While originally nut didn't include a communication module, to talk to apcupsd, later such module was created, and is available (apcupsd-ups http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/apcupsd-ups.html).

I'm glad it is also present in the nut package installed on FreeNAS (probably inherited from the standard FreeBSD distribution), but it is not advertised (the graphical interface is limited to nut localhost setup), and I would have to find out how to set it up, so that it is working with FreeNAS environment.

Does anyone use apcupsd-ups for what it is meant, and can share the setup, so that I don't reinvent the wheel?

Thanks for your attention,
hg

fireheadman

Dabbler
Horia, if you are still active.... hoping you see this and can shed a little more light on this. I am having the same issue.

contents of /usr/local/etc/nut/upsd.conf:
LISTEN 0.0.0.0

From following the links, did you update/change this to 127.0.0.1 or another IP address or add more to this file?

Status
Not open for further replies.