Upgrading my NAS box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
but it still doesn't solve the cabling mess with 24 SATA cables going into the expander card
The 48 bay chassis has one SAS cable running to each of the two expander backplanes.

Inxsible

Guru
Why not buy the 4U chassis and transplant into it? That would give you a lot more bays to work with.
Because every Supermicro 4U chassis with an SAS2-EL1/EL2 backplane is $600 or thereabouts on ebay. Far more than I can spend right now.

I hadn't considered Chenbro until now, to be honest.

Inxsible

Guru
@Chris Moore The 48 bay build that you built, does that use the Chenbro chassis? If so I might have to go thru that thread of yours.

I was only considering Supermicro chassis until now due to quality and used because of cost

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
@Chris Moore The 48 bay build that you built, does that use the Chenbro chassis? If so I might have to go thru that thread of yours.

I was only considering Supermicro chassis until now due to quality and used because of cost
That auction I pointed you at is the same seller that I bought mine from. It was just as perfect as it looks in the photos. I am loving it.

Inxsible

Guru
Thanks @Chris Moore I am now reading your 48 bay build thread to find out about issues like noise levels and such.

Can you give me the dimensions. I want to make sure it will fit in terms of depth on my 4 post rack.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Can you give me the dimensions. I want to make sure it will fit in terms of depth on my 4 post rack.
It is 32" front to back, but it needs a couple extra inches for the power cables. It comes with a nice set of rails too.

Inxsible

Guru
Thanks. How do you backup a 48 bay NAS? I was hoping to convert my Node304 into a backup. But if I go the Chenbro route...6 drives in Node304 are not gonna be enough to backup my main 48 bay NAS :(

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But if I go the Chenbro route...6 drives in Node304 are not gonna be enough to backup my main 48 bay NAS
My storage pool is only about 21TB, I have an iSCSI pool in there too, and I have a backup pool all in the same chassis. I have another system that I use to backup the main storage pool by doing rsync. In the backup server, I have 8 x 6TB drives in RAIDz2, which gives me about 23TB of usable space. Plenty for a backup of the main server. I don't know how much capacity you are planning, but you could go with 6 x 8TB drives and have about the same amount of storage. The advantage of the big chassis is that I can do a lot of things with it, not so I can have a massive amount of storage. But, I can still add 16 more drives, so I have options.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. I have a similar chassis at work that holds 60 drives and is about 250 TB of usable space.

Hey there, @Chris Moore!

Have a question about your comment re: the Chenbro 48 bay chassis.

@Chris Moore said:
It is 32" front to back, but it needs a couple extra inches for the power cables. It comes with a nice set of rails too.

I just picked up a Kendall Howard 8U SOHO cabinet locally for $40 and am still looking at chassis options. I'd much prefer to have a large chassis for future expansion vs. buying multiples here and there. The Kendall Howard 8U unit has the following specs, and I'm including the Chenbro specs as well:

Kendall Howard 8U SOHO Cabinet Specs
Rails are adjustable from 3" to 28" deep
Width: 24.44"
Depth: 32.25"
Height: 20.42"

Chenbro 48 Bay Top Loader
Width: 17.3"
Depth: 31.5"
Height: 6.9"

Seems like the Chenbro will fit but wanted to get your opinion on whether or not the power cables will extrude more than 3/4". Do you think it will fit? If this seems like too much of a tight fit I will look for used SuperMicro 846 or 847 chassis options.

Thanks for chipping in your two cents!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Rails are adjustable from 3" to 28" deep
This tells the story. The max "mounting" depth is 28". The difference between 28" and the statement, Depth: 32.25", is the room between the mounting rail and the door to the rack. The 60 bay chassis I have at work hangs out the back of the rack so that the back doors can't be closed. That will probably be the situation with that cabinet and the Chenbro. It should mount to the rails because they are adjustable, both the rack rails are adjustable and the server rails are. It might be tight, but I think it will work for you.

Wow, I just went to look at they have sold 4 in the past 24 hours. They had 10 available last I looked, now it is only 3.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Server-Chenbro-48-Bay-Top-Loader-4U-Chassis-NEW-in-Box/253503074088

Status
Not open for further replies.