Upgrade time -- MB suggestions

Inxsible

Guru
I need to upgrade one of my smaller boxes and need some ideas as to which motherboard to look for.

I am currently using the Tyan S5533 mITX board and LGA1150 socket with a Pentium G3240 cpu and 16 GB RAM. This is housed in a Node 304. The reason for the upgrade is that space is running out and adding more drives in that case is not possible. Plus the HDDs get really hot (~46C) which always keeps me worried about the data.

I already have a new case Supermicro 826BE16-R1K28LPB that I am going to put the new system in. I currently don't have the rear HDD cage but I was planning on getting one if I can find it. I am staying away from mITX this time, so the motherboard has to be mATX or ATX.

I use a X9SCL-F board for my VM server and am quite happy with it, so getting a X10 or X11 would be a decent upgrade to current system. X9 should also be ok, I guess. But I can also look at other boards if they are recommended. Also I don't want to re-use any of the existing components (except the storage drives), so none of the components are bound by any restrictions other than that they should fit in the above mentioned chassis and have IPMI or equivalent. So it doesn't matter if it requires Registered ECC vs Unbuffered ECC etc. Since I already have a separate VM server, the requirements of the FreeNAS box is only as a fileserver and media server (Emby jail) and not much else. I don't transcode 90% of the time so don't need massive passmark values. An appropriate base Xeon should probably suffice.

I am planning on spending $250-$300 max on the MB, 32+ GB RAM, CPU & an HBA and am planning on buying used components.

Please let me know if there are specific boards to look at within the X9/X10/X11 series or some other manufacturer too.

Base criteria:
  1. mATX or ATX form factor
  2. IPMI or equivalent -- hopefully without the Java dependency. HTML5 based would be best.

Thank you,
Inxsible

Last edited: