Mobo upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshine

Dabbler
I started w/ a very common build i saw 1.5 years ago to get me started w/ freenas. I use my server primarily as a media server (plex) and backups. I thought I would only be using 2-3 streams at the most...but I've found that after some of my colleagues have deployed to afghanistan, I've been doing 3+ streams simultaneously. The biggest issues i saw w/ my avoton system was playback for certain types files (mkv). I suspect i'll be using it like this consistently as I won't deprive my buds overseas from entertainment. Although I don't have any catastrophic issues w/ streaming....the encoding of those files are becoming a serious issue w/ playback and i'm nervous about obvious limitations.

Current build:
Asrock C2550d4i
32 GB ECC ram
6 x 3TB WD Red, RaidZ2
Fractal Node 304

My question: What is the most cost effective and capable mobo/cpu upgrade?

1) skylake xeon v5 w/ supermicro X11 mobos? I don't feel my needs require x11 at this time, but since i'm upgrading...YOLO?

2) workhorse xeon 1231 v3 + SM X10SL7 mobo? This is a popular choice. New would cost me about 500 i think. However, i'd need to get a new case for the mATX form factor...which is an add'l 50-100 bucks as well...

3) xeon-d mobo? Seems to be avoton on steroids. I know the 1521 is better than the avoton, but will it be "futureproof" for my needs? Will I need the xeon d-1541 (X10SDV-TLN4F-O) ? That package would be 899!

Oh yea...i also have a i5-4670K in my desktop. It certainly doesn't need that kind of a cpu. Maybe get a supermicro x10 board and put an i5 on it?

Thoughts or other recs would be greatly appreciated.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would go with a skylake cpu and whatever the entry level supermicro x11 motherboard that is suggested these days is. The problem is that you will have to buy new memory. Maybe the v3 system with a cheaper motherboard, unless you need 14sata ports on the sl7. Then you might be able to reuse your memory?

Are you trying to stick with itx system or are you building something brand new?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

moonshine

Dabbler
I'd like to save as much money as possible. So definitely a build that uses my current ecc ram.

I don't need more than 6 sata ports but I suppose I can upgrade later. So expansion options are ideal.

It would be nice to do mini-itx so I don't have to buy a new case, but if it's the best option then so be it.

JJT211

Patron
I went from the 8 core Avoton to a Xeon-D 1521 and the performance boost is quite nice. The board barely breaks a sweat doing 3+ transcodes. No more complaints about Plex buffering any more. And I have yet to test it to its limits. It made me realize how important single threaded CPU muscle is as opposed to multiple cores.

But if I had to do it again, I might go with one of the CPU upgradable mobo's as it would have a longer overall life. That being said, I think the Xeon-D 1521 is as powerful as a FreeNAS server needs to be unless you're getting into some serious virtualization.

moonshine

Dabbler
Thanks man! That's super helpful.

For that reason I think I'm crossing off the Xeon-d1541. Seems overkill for plex and media storage.

Xeon 1521 def doable from a price standpoint. But I think the mobos are like 4-500? Which makes me wonder if your thought of longer overall life would be the better option. I could get the SM x10 mobo,a Xeon 1231v3 and new case for like 500

Is the Xeon-d1521 "better" overall than and more future proof than the Xeon v3? I know I can't upgrade the xeon-d but in terms of future proof....is upgrading a 1231v3 going to be much better than the newer Xeon platforms?

JJT211

Patron
Thats a great question, but this is my first Xeon, so I really do not know. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more experience with them.

EDIT: Just looked up that SM X10SL7 mobo and my main prob with those was the max memory being 32GB. To me, thats a bigger future proof limiting factor than the 1521. It has a max memory of 128GB. From my limited understanding, RAM plays a bigger role when you start to virtualize. And it may also limit you if you decided to increase your storage.

If it was me tho, I would either go balls to the wall with the X11 and Skylake or go with the 1521. I wound up choosing the latter as Ive wasted alot of money trying to future proof in the past.

Last edited:

moonshine

Dabbler
Mmmm the ram is a solid point. I don't see myself getting to 128gb....i mean I'll probably add 2 or 3 more drives in the future. Even for that I think 32gb is good but 64gb is certainly within the realm and would obviously be more future proof.

The X11 and skylake are obviously the latest and greatest so I don't think I'll be getting anything too economical. The 1521 is looking pretty good right about now...

Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Stux

MVP
It's possible intel may bring out a 6 core Kaby lake in the future but other than that there's not really anyhthing worth upgrading to beyond a 1230.

I'd consider the 1521

moonshine

Dabbler
Yea I don't think I need a super powerful system. I just want a CPU that can comfortably transcode. My atom c2550 can do 3 streams without buffering but I think it's because they're basic media files.

I don't remember specifics but like I said in my first post I thought there was a specific issue with avoton not being able to transcode mkv files or files that weren't the basic avi/MP4 extensions. I take it the Xeon d-1521 won't have issues with this? If not, I think I'm just gonna get the 1521.

It's funny cause when I started this upgrade, I told myself I would stay away from non upgradeable CPU mobos, but they're soooo awesome! What do I do with my c2550?

JJT211

Patron
Yea i know...same here, they are awesome.

As for your c2550, sell it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yea I don't think I need a super powerful system. I just want a CPU that can comfortably transcode. My atom c2550 can do 3 streams without buffering but I think it's because they're basic media files.

I don't remember specifics but like I said in my first post I thought there was a specific issue with avoton not being able to transcode mkv files or files that weren't the basic avi/MP4 extensions. I take it the Xeon d-1521 won't have issues with this? If not, I think I'm just gonna get the 1521.

It's funny cause when I started this upgrade, I told myself I would stay away from non upgradeable CPU mobos, but they're soooo awesome! What do I do with my c2550?
A mkv is just a wrapper around a regular video file. There is no difference. It might not be powerful enough for transcoding but the type of file has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.