New (to me) NAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwslippey

Contributor
I've finally got around to ordering some new parts to rebuild my less than desirable NAS.

So far I've got the following on order

• Supermicro X9SCL-F (found on Ebay used, Which brings me to the processor. This is where I'm a little confused... The board came out of a data center and the pictures show the cpu cooler on the board and the description says E3-1200 Series. It never actually says it comes with the processor, but it came out of a data center so I'm hopeful they were lazy. I know I might be disappointed but if so I'll cross the bridge when I get there.
  • The case I ordered a while back, for cheap. Nothing fancy just an ATX case (looks nice though)
  • Kingston (I know but I couldn't find memory anywhere... crucial showed out of stock on 8GB stick) I'll be starting with 16GB
  • Seasonic G-550
  • 6 WD Red drives
Think that's it.

The real question is do I migrate the existing pool or do I start from scratch?

Dice

Wizard
If you've installed FreeNAS on a USB stick, the procedure is to
1. save a config copy.
2. try moving the usb stick to the new machine
3. maybe requiring new configuration on IPs to access the machine
4. pool should import without a hitch.

If you're less lucky and want the second easiest way:
2. install freenas fresh on the new machine
3. import the old config

rwslippey

Contributor
If you've installed FreeNAS on a USB stick, the procedure is to
1. save a config copy.
2. try moving the usb stick to the new machine
3. maybe requiring new configuration on IPs to access the machine
4. pool should import without a hitch.

If you're less lucky and want the second easiest way:
2. install FreeNAS fresh on the new machine
3. import the old config

Any worry about moving the disks? Everything in the build is new (again to me) except the disks...
Looking back at this, now it seems like a really bad idea! thank god for backups.

Dice

Wizard
If the drives are running FreeNAS on the most recent version, configured in a pool there is no problem moving them to another machine.

pschatz100

Guru
X9SCL-F is a fine motherboard, and it is not too fussy about memory. If the board shows up without a processor, you can get a compatible xeon, i3, or pentium process rather inexpensively. If you are not transcoding video, a pentium cpu will be enough.

rwslippey

Contributor
X9SCL-F is a fine motherboard, and it is not too fussy about memory. If the board shows up without a processor, you can get a compatible xeon, i3, or pentium process rather inexpensively. If you are not transcoding video, a pentium cpu will be enough.
Ended up getting a Xeon E3 1230 V2 off ebay. Everything seems to be working well. The migration went very smoothly. Just swapped everything over and away we went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.