Upgrading from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE to TrueNAS

Dinesh1985

Cadet
Hi Everybody,

I am in the stone age. I am a photographer and my server runs on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE. I am not very tech-savvy in terms of servers, so a bit of patient and detailed help would be really appreciated, and thanks in advance.

So I have decided to upgrade my FreeNAS version, but I have a few worries and concerns;
  • Is it possible to upgrade from FreeNAS 9.3 Stable to TrueNAS? Cos the update screen is blank and doesn't show me any options no matter how many times I go there.
  • Any upgrade that I do, will it impact the data? Cos losing any of it is not an option. I would rather stay with 9.3 Stable
  • What are some of the possible issues that could arise from an update?
  • If something goes wrong, can I revert back to how things were?
Any other info that might be helpful are more than welcome :)

Thank you so much in advance :)

adrianwi

Guru
Some information on the server hardware might help with the replies. Also, how is 9.3 booting on your server?

Leaving things 6+ years between updates is never the best of approaches, but you probably already know that. What about a backup. I'm assuming the fact that you are a photographer and 'losing any of it is not an option' means the data is important and is backed up somewhere?

Dinesh1985

Cadet
Oh ya, I am using a USB drive to boot. Yes, I know I am way behind on updates :confused:

I do shoot RAW and JPEG. So my RAW files are sitting on the NAS and JPEGs are offsite on an SSD. My FreeNAS is on RaidZ2 with 4 identical HGST Deskstar NAS HDD drives (8TBX4).

adrianwi

Guru
I think the longest I've gone without updating is about 9-12 months, so I'm probably not the best to offer advice.

If it was my machine, I'd probably be asking in the forum too and hoping for some better advice than mine :cool:

My advice would be to create another USB boot device running the latest version and boot with that and try to import the pool. Don't upgrade the pool until you've tested everything still works, so if it doesn't, you can put the old USB boot device in and be back to running 9.3.

I'd give it a few days though and hope someone comes along to either (a) confirm that's a sensible plan or (b) offers a better suggestion :smile:

Take a look on the forums on encryption if you use it. The method of encryption changed with 12 and there are steps you need to completed (e.g., decrypting the drives) before you procced. I agree with @adrianwi, I would take a good look at your hardware (booting from USB thumb drives is no longer recommended).

adrianwi

Guru
Oooh, good shout. Again, I don't use encryption so hadn't even considered that. If you are, tread very carefully!