Upgrading AND changing boot drives at the same time

beautie

Cadet
I have inherited a TrueNAS-12.0-U1 system with ~100TB, booting from a USB stick and I need to move the boot to internal SSD. What I am worried about is that the current configuration is 12.0-U1 and the latest version is 12.0-U2.1 (or any newer version for that matter). If I export my config from the original version, re-install to new boot drives and then install a newer version, will it recognize everything correctly if I re-import the config?

No encryption involved, already checked that.

Thank you.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If I export my config from the original version, re-install to new boot drives and then install a newer version, will it recognize everything correctly if I re-import the config?
With the relatively minor difference in versions (and only importing config from same or older version) it will be fine.

Major version differences would not be recommended to do that way, but the impact of installing the upgrade over a machine running a particular version and importing the config from a machine with that version is effectively the same thing, so the upgrade process will be run on the config to bring it to the current version in both cases.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Last time I checked, TrueNAS and 11.3 is limited to 2 drives in the boot pool per the GUI (n-way mirrors can be done per the CLI). What I did under similar circumstance is add a 2nd drive to the boot pool, waited for it to be prepared (FreeNAS will take care of the formatting, duplication, and so on). Once that drive was set up, I detached the original boot disk from the mirrored boot pool. No reinstall, etc. needed.

If you add larger drives to the boot pool, the boot pool capacity will grow to the higher capacity whenever the old (small) drive is detached from the boot pool. Conversely, I don't think the system will let you add a smaller drive to a boot pool that is at a higher capacity, but I'm happy to be wrong.

Don't forget to adjust your boot disk settings in BIOS unless you move disks around post-migration. Ideally, if you have a multi-boot drive setup, sequence the various boot pool drives in the BIOS boot order in case the primary drive fails 100%.

beautie

Cadet
Thank you sretalla, that makes me less nervous. If only the original install ISO was around I would not have to go through ti.