Moving drives to new motherboard with TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U3.1

RickO

Cadet
My first post here. I have checked some of the install documentation and videos but am still uncertain.

I am upgrading from an old FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64 running on very old hardware to a newer system with a better motherboard, faster processor, more RAM, faster Ethernet, etc.

I have installed TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U3.1, running on mirrored 32GB USBs on the new system. Everything boots up fine and I can get to both the console and the web interface. I have not installed any drives yet.

Can I simply swap my existing two mirrored drives from the old system to the new system and "import a pool"? Some of the instructional videos would suggest it is that simple, but I am worried about major differences between the legacy OS and the new one. For example, the web interface on the old system refers to my drives as a "volume" named raid1. The new system refers to "pools".

I have backed up all the data on the old system and could copy it to re-formatted drives in the new system if that is the only alternative. Of course, I would like to avoid that if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RickO

Cadet
Nevermind...

I just reformatted the drives and copied over the backups.

russnas

Contributor
yes, you just import to a new build. i have but from more recent OS version