Safely Migrate To New Hardware

isopropyl

Contributor
I am building a new server, however I did not plan to add any new drives, nor new boot drives.
So I plan to simply build the new server, shut down this machine, remove out all of my drives from my current system, and put them in the new one.
For the boot drive, I planned on simply disconnecting the boot drive ssd, and simply plugging it into the new system and booting right up from that.

Would everything work as expected?

The only issue I can see myself encountering is with the NICs, and I'd just need to delete the old ones and add the new ones when booting from the new system.
There is encryption on the pool, but I don't see why that'd matter.

TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Sounds reasonable.

NIC settings in jails/VMs would be the main point that needs attention assuming your SATA controller/HBA is all good.

isopropyl

Contributor
Ah, nothing high priority is running in the jails/vms, so at most I can just edit them when I boot up right?
And what concerns are there about teh SATA controller/HBA when migrating? They don't need to match or anything right as long as it detects all the drives?

Anyways, yeah so I don't need to do any exporting or importing or anything right?
Just turn off machine 1. remove ssd from machine 1, put in machine 2. remove drives from 1, put in 2.
then boot up 2 and it should be all good (besides maybe edit NICs)

No issues with encryption or it not finding similar hardware or cpu or anything? I presume it uses the drives ID to figure out which ones go to which pool and how they are setup and everything so no issues with that.