Upgraded to 11.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLLy

Dabbler
I just upgraded to 11.2 and wondered why FreeNAS didn't come back up. Once it finished the upgrade it rebooted and took forever to come back online. Sure enough, I check and it says "Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel"

Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to rebuild from scratch? What a pain in my rear!

MeLLy

Dabbler
I've attached a screenshot.

Attachments

• freenas.jpeg
    freenas.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 317

IceBoosteR

Guru
Isn't 11.2 still in BETA?
I would recommend you install latest 11.1-U5

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You can try an install USB and install over the top of the existing installation to "repair" it (assuming it's not a disk error causing the problem). That should be non-destructive to what you have on the install already.

I agree with @IceBoosteR that you probably don't want a Beta version if this kind of experience is troubling for you.

MeLLy

Dabbler
Troubling me? I know I can reinstall but I am reporting an issue. Am I not supposed to come to the forums to report info such as this? And by the way, the branch did say 11.2-STABLE.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Troubling me? I know I can reinstall but I am reporting an issue. Am I not supposed to come to the forums to report info such as this? And by the way, the branch did say 11.2-STABLE.
I have double checked this. It is still BETA.
Try 11.1 instead, see if the eror persists. If not, be happy and upgrade later.
If you submit a bug - awesome. The devs can fix it. But it wont be in the near future. OF course you can share your experience, but the developers often don't have a look into the forums, more on the bugtracker.

MeLLy

Dabbler
Yeah I'm going back to 11.1. I'll report it to bugtracker. I didn't realize they don't pay much attention in here. Thanks!

Just a note, if the branch isn't stable it shouldn't say it is! It should say 11.2-BETA or 11.2-ALPHA. That is very confusing.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Yeah I'm going back to 11.1. I'll report it to bugtracker. I didn't realize they don't pay much attention in here. Thanks!

Just a note, if the branch isn't stable it shouldn't say it is! It should say 11.2-BETA or 11.2-ALPHA. That is very confusing.
Thanks.

Yes I do agree. They should change the name from stable to beta....

Brer

Explorer
I just upgraded to 11.2 and wondered why FreeNAS didn't come back up. Once it finished the upgrade it rebooted and took forever to come back online. Sure enough, I check and it says "Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel"

Anyone else have this issue? Do I need to rebuild from scratch? What a pain in my rear!

I'm having the same issue, I haven't found a way around it yet, U5 installs flawlessly. This is the first update/fresh install I've had problems with. I posted here :-

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/11-2-beta1-upgrade-and-fresh-install.68487/

xcom

Contributor

This!!!! I have been there before so please ix, Listen to this post :D

Astrodonkey

Explorer
I moved to 11.2-Beta 1 and "uname -a" is puzzling to me as it still indicates 11.1.

Code:
root@freenas:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD freenas.local 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r325575+b31fa24ea5b(freenas/11-stable): Thu Jul  5 16:57:13 EDT 2018 
root@nemesis.tn.ixsystems.com:/freenas-11.2-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11.2-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.amd64  amd64

Status
Not open for further replies.