SOLVED Upgrade TrueNAS 13.0-U5.3: FreeBSD version mismatch with jail.

Xvirus18

Cadet
Hello,

I have recently upgraded my TrueNAS Core server and then proceeded to upgrade my jail. The problem is that my jail is upgrading to 13.1-RELEASE-p9 (from 12.3-RELEASE-p5) while my TrueNAS system has the version 13.1-RELEASE-p7. How can I make my jail upgrade only to 13.1-RELEASE-p7 to avoid mismatch errors.

There's no problem with that. As long as TrueNAS host and jail are both 13.x.

My jails are all 13.2-RELEASE-p2, even though my TrueNAS Core is based on 13.1-RELEASE-p7

Xvirus18

Cadet

My jails are all 13.2-RELEASE-p2, even though my TrueNAS Core is based on 13.1-RELEASE-p7
In that case, then something else is amiss. I get this when doing pkg update:
1692638946351.png

1692638974628.png

1692639000965.png

Any idea how to fix it?

FreeBSD 13.1 went EOL last month.

You should upgrade your jails to 13.2 using the iocage "fetch" and "upgrade" tools.

the_prodigal

Cadet
FreeBSD 13.1 went EOL last month.

You should upgrade your jails to 13.2 using the iocage "fetch" and "upgrade" tools.
If this is the case, then when can we expect TrueNAS release train to upgrade its FreeBSD?

(not asking you directly, just a general question)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If this is the case, then when can we expect TrueNAS release train to upgrade its FreeBSD?

And does it mean i can just ignore the mismatch and continue?
You can "ignore" it, but for the sake of package updates and underlying support, I'd recommend upgrading the jail.

This can be done in a four-step process:
  1. Take a recursive snapshot of the dataset (e.g, mypool/iocage/jails/qbittorrent)
  2. Fetch the latest available FreeBSD release: iocage fetch
  3. Upgrade the jail: iocage upgrade -r 13.2-RELEASE qbittorrent
  4. Shell into the jail and update your packages: pkg update -f && pkg upgrade

* After some time, you can safely destroy the manually-created snapshots if everything is running smoothly.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
And does it mean i can just ignore the mismatch and continue?
What mismatch? TrueNAS CORE is on FreeBSD 13-STABLE. Your jails will be on FreeBSD 13.2. No mismatch.

Xvirus18

Cadet
What mismatch? TrueNAS CORE is on FreeBSD 13-STABLE. Your jails will be on FreeBSD 13.2. No mismatch.
Previously, when I was on version 13.1, I received a mismatch error between my kernel and package(when doing pkg update) even though the jail had a patch version higher than my host. However, after upgrading to 13.2, the message no longer appears. I'm unsure why it doesn't show up anymore, but at least the issue is resolved :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
With FreeBSD 13.1 finally EOL the quarterly packages switched to 13.2 for the quarterly branch at start of July. That's why you need to upgrade your jails to 13.2. 13.1 is not supported any more by packages.

You are not experiencing a mismatch of TrueNAS host and jail. It's a mismatch of the jail's FreeBSD version and the package repository. Happens for every version switch.

Last edited:

victort

Guru
I’ve got a question. Let’s say (hypothetically) that TrueNAS Core disappears in the future, I assume it would still be possible to install the various scripts found in the resources section on a standard FreeBSD OS?

Am I correct?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
More or less, yes. iocage is a standard FreeBSD package and jails are a core (no pun intended) FreeBSD feature.

the_prodigal

Cadet
I read this as saying that for the actual host OS, the FreeBSD version doesn't matter so long as you keep it updated when the GUI tells you to?

Same with me.

I came across this post because I am trying to install a package on the host OS via pkg and getting the kernel mismatch warning.
Code:
$ sudo pkg install nano                         
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01   
Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100%    7 MiB   1.8MB/s    00:04   
Processing entries:   0%
Newer FreeBSD version for package zziplib:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1302001
- running kernel: 1301000
Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]:

$ freebsd-version
13.1-RELEASE-p7

$ uname -r
13.1-RELEASE-p7

$ sudo iocage list
+------+----------------+-------+--------------+--------------+
| JID  |      NAME      | STATE |   RELEASE    |     IP4      |
+======+================+=======+==============+==============+
| 24   | plex           | up    | 13.2-RELEASE | 10.10.20.101 |
+------+----------------+-------+--------------+--------------+

Installing anything in the jails work fine, as you'd expect.

So, I have the same question as @Xvirus18, but in a different context (me, on the host; them, in the jail). Am I free to ignore the mismatch and proceed to install a package on the host?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Don't install packages on the host. High probability of breaking your TrueNAS. This has been a fact since FreeNAS/TrueNAS exists.

Even if that was supported, no, you can also not ignore the mismatch, because you are missing 13.2 libraries that the packages expect.

The 13.2 jails have everything to be compatible with the 13.2 packages. And they run perfectly fine on any 13-STABLE system like a TrueNAS host. The jails are only using the kernel. Packages are using all of FreeBSD so they expect an up to date installation - inside a jail.

Again: don't ever install anything on the TN host. Nobody will be able to help you and you will get this same sentence thrown at you over and over. No user serviceable parts in the host OS.

the_prodigal

Cadet
Ok, don't mess with host OS. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Thanks for the illuminating info.

Xvirus18

Cadet
With FreeBSD 13.1 finally EOL the quarterly packages switched to 13.2 for the quarterly branch at start of July. That's why you need to upgrade your jails to 13.2. 13.1 is not supported any more by packages.

You are not experiencing a mismatch of TrueNAS host and jail. It's a mismatch of the jail's FreeBSD version and the package repository. Happens for every version switch.
This clarifies the confusion, thanks for the info!