Upgrade to U3 not booting U3

DAXQ

Contributor
A few weeks ago when U3 was released I was fairly certain I had applied it ( just as I did for my other two systems). Then about a week later as I was checking things out, I noticed this one server was still at U2. I ran the update again. Just to be sure. Today I saw it was still at U2, ran a third time and have noticed in the boot, three separate U3 boots - but none them boot or even seems to try and boot when the server reboots. This is a year old freenas mini running trueNas 12.u2 - never had any issues with the server, but a heat issue with two of the drives that I've been trying to resolve with support from Ixsystems. Any assistance with this would be great.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Delete the U3 snapshots on the boot device and try again. Something is failing. Usually cleaning up and trying again does the trick

DAXQ

Contributor
One of the U3's boot's was flagged as Reboot and would not let me delete it unlit I marked the U2 boot as active, then I could delete all three hung U3 tries. Rebooted the server, and trying the update again. The Update ran to 100% and rebooted. After reboot - the server is still sitting at 12.0-U2.1 and declaring that there are Updates Available. Looking at the boot environment, 12.0-U3 is on Reboot FreeNAS-12.0-U2.1 is on Now. If I reboot - it still boots the 12.0-U2.1. I have checked dmesg | grep boot - which only shows trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-12.0-U2.1 [].... I dont see it trying the U3 at all. Is there someplace I can find an upgrade log or some other boot log to determine why its not booting the U3?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm not sure where the log is. My last idea is save your config and just do a fresh install.

I suspect your boot device is having issues so might want to keep an eye on it.

DAXQ

Contributor
I have been having heat issues that IX is trying to resolve (i think) maybe it's related. I'll stop trying to upgrade till that's resolved then I'll work on the upgrade. Thanks for the info.

DAXQ

Contributor
Should I save the config off...
Clean install of 12.0.u2 or 12.0.u3 ?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Should I save the config off...
Clean install of 12.0.u2 or 12.0.u3 ?
Go with whatever latest version is available

DAXQ

Contributor
Well i've now moved to u4 and I failed to address this earlier. I have a second TrueNAS Mini set up so I can test out the procedure for re-installing without loosing the pool - is there any place I can find the steps and order of operations to successfully move the install from a hung 12.0.u2 to 12.0.u4 without being able to use the update button?

sretalla