SOLVED Upgrade to 8x HDDs with controller

alieNus

Dabbler
Hey guys,

my 4x 4TB WD Red in Raidz2 getting full and I'm planning upgrading my system soon. So the first problem I have is, that I want to add 4x 4TB WD Red to my current setup and theirfore I don't have enough slots. My motherboard is X11SSM-F from SuperMicro. Can somebody make some not expensive suggestions for controllers which will be running nice with FreeNAS? Also is that ok to add just 4x extra WDs with the same size to my setup? I know that I can extend my pool, but the question here is, #willitwork with an controller?

Best regards,
alieNus

John Doe

Guru
that controller in my signature is working but consumes ~10w
maybe consider to go for bigger HDDs instead of more.
I did the same initial i had 4x 3tb than 6x, than 8x and now i reached 6x 10tb

for me it was a waste of money to go ahead with the same size.

in case you add a controller which is flashed to IT mode you can just connect your existing drives to the controller, freenas will find it.

alieNus

Dabbler
that controller in my signature is working but consumes ~10w
maybe consider to go for bigger HDDs instead of more.
I did the same initial i had 4x 3tb than 6x, than 8x and now i reached 6x 10tb

for me it was a waste of money to go ahead with the same size.

in case you add a controller which is flashed to IT mode you can just connect your existing drives to the controller, freenas will find it.

Thank you for your answer. I bought like 1 year ago my 4x 4TB. It would be a waste to resell them, because I will get maybe half the price.

Your LSI controller seems to be good, but in Germany I get him for around 170€. Generall I would say, had I know one year ago that my pool will expand so fast, I had bought 4x 8TB but now it doesn't make sense hmm.

Still looking for a solution or buying 8TBs is the best one?

John Doe

Guru
I bought 3 of them in germany a year ago. used you can get one around 120-150€
Be careful and do not go with ebay adapters from china, usually it is fake hardware.

I am happy to have the adapter, as it is faster than the on board chip and I could virtualize freenas.

regarding size, just give a best guess, what will come in which time and consider to have 20% spare capacity.

Solltest du dich für den adapter entscheiden, einen habe ich noch.

alieNus

Dabbler
Bought an SATA Controller (~30 €) and added 4x 4TB WD Reds. Works nice at the moment.