Upgrade pool sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertjan11

Dabbler
Dear all,

i need your professional advice in this one..

I want to replace my old 8 times 160gb hdd that are in 1 pool. I created the pool in RaidZ in freenas 8.3.1 and recently upgrade to 9.1.1.

Beqause i created the pool into freenas 8.3.1 it is created on sector size 514 bytes and if i now want to replace the disk with a bigger one it says it is not possible because the sector size is different.

what i want is that i replace the disk one by one and add the last step extend my pool.. but this is now not possible because of the different sector size of the disk..

is it possible to upgrade the sector size so i can replace the hdd`s? or is there a another way to do this so i can replace my old disk`s without losing my data? i have 1tb an data so it is not possible to for me backup it to a external drive and setup a new pool with new the hdd`s

thanks a lot!

warri

Guru
If you haven't upgraded your ZFS pool version yet (has to be done manually from CLI), then you can go back to 8.3.2 temporarily to replace the drives (use a new USB stick).

robertjan11

Dabbler
pff i know this temporarily solution but is there no other way? because i think i am gonna replace all the drives now from 160gb to 250gb drives and next year for 1tb drives so every time i wane replace or expand my drives i need to go back to 8.3.2? Why is FreeNAS not thinking about this when they go to a new version? :confused: stupid :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. Should have planned ahead and went with 4k sector size...

robertjan11

Dabbler
So à upgrade is not possible? Only way is to delete the pool and create a 4k pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.