Upgrade HP Microserver N54L to Gen8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubenm

Dabbler
Hi all

I have Freenas using a HP N54L with 4 HDD booting from USB
I want to change it all to a new HP Gen 8 that i intend to buy.

The main function at the moment is running Plex and transmission, so i have 4 hdd full of data

Anyone can help?

Also, i am running Freenas on an 4GB usb stick that i want to upgrade to a 16 Gb and use in the new server a backup unit to boot freenas.

Help and suggestions will be appreciated

m0nkey_

MVP
Just move your boot drive and other disks to the new server and boot up. Once booted, you will need to re-configure your NIC.

The other alternative is to backup your configuration, re-install onto the new machine, move your disks, then restore your config.

ovizii

Patron
Any particular reason why upgrading from Gen7 to Gen8? I'm running a Gen7 with 6 HDs (2 went into the space formerly occupied by the CDROM) and would be curious about the advantage of an upgrade.

rubenm

Dabbler
Just move your boot drive and other disks to the new server and boot up. Once booted, you will need to re-configure your NIC.

The other alternative is to backup your configuration, re-install onto the new machine, move your disks, then restore your config.

so just move the usb boot and the HDD without configuration ??
first i want to change the boot usb for a new one, this has only 4gb, already order a 16gb to replace, any link with information to upgrade?

Any particular reason why upgrading from Gen7 to Gen8? I'm running a Gen7 with 6 HDs (2 went into the space formerly occupied by the CDROM) and would be curious about the advantage of an upgrade.

CPU has the double of power, for transcoding, and the price was great (waiting it by the end of the week, not in the UK)

ovizii

Patron
I see you can get the gen8 with different cpus, which one are you buying?
Do you know if the gen8 can also accommodate 6hds?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

rubenm

Dabbler
i get the cheap one the celerom, but it easy to change, if you can get one compatible after the warranty for example.

for what i read, the dvd sata connector has limited speed

but what i liked most was the ILO solution, something like iDrac from dell, u can manage server outside home, reboot, turn on, turn off see screen to check errors and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.