Upgrade from truenas core to truenas scale

matt998

Dabbler
So I am wondering if other users have seen this as well. I was running truenas core for a long time and trying to get my 10GB network to work correctly with no success. But seen truenas scale so i did a fresh install to see how it was. As soon as i did this and tried to do a file transfer i was shocked from windows 11 PC to Truenas Scale system and back I was shocked full 10GB network. I was wondering why would this be core did not give it, but scale can.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Depends on your network card. SCALE in general has much wider support for more types of network devices due to it being Linux based. FreeBSD is tending to get farther and farther behind in the general HW support category.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm having a little trouble deciphering your question, and you've really included no information that would be relevant to understanding what's going on. It sounds like you're saying your 10G NIC didn't work (and perhaps wasn't recognized) under CORE, and it did work under SCALE. Depending on the NIC, that could be entirely reasonable--CORE is based on FreeBSD, while SCALE is based on Linux, and Linux has broader device support than FreeBSD.