Can't access TrueNAS via web user interface except from host PC of VMware Workstaion Player

xq0404

Dabbler
I have successfully installed both TrueNAS Core and TureNAS Scale on VMware Workstaion Player under Windows 10 professional edition. But except from host PC, I cannot access TrueNAS via web user interface in all other devices in my local area network at home. As a newbie, I'm quite frustrated. Now only the host PC can access the TrueNAS normally. By the way, I did not change any default option as I dare not configure network interfaces.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I dare not configure network interfaces.
VMware Workstaion Player under Windows 10 professional

So how were you expecting this to work, then? It is doing EXACTLY what is expected. Workstation creates networks by default under a NAT engine. When you go into the Virtual Machine Settings and click on "Network Adapter", under the Network connection properties it'll show you as attached to "NAT: Used to share the host's IP address". If your PC is on wired ethernet, you can probably change this to "Bridged" mode to place the VM on the same ethernet as your home network. You probably won't be able to do that for wifi; wifi is weird about bridging.

xq0404

Dabbler
Thank you. I have changed it to "Bridged" mode to copy physical network connection status, and also created a static IP address 10.238.15.194, but the new web user interface can no longer be accessed via this static address.

Last edited:

xq0404

Dabbler
What address do you get if you let it DHCP?
The original web user interface for TrueNAS Core is 192.168.174.128. The web user interface for TrueNAS Scale is 192.168.174.129, Nameserver (DHCP):192.168.174.2
Should I have turned off WebDAV service? Or should I leave the "copy physical network connection status" box beside "Bridged" option unchecked?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, I'm trying to understand what your network configuration is. Usually when things "don't work" it's because of a bad network design.

Perhaps you could explain.

xq0404

Dabbler
Well, I'm trying to understand what your network configuration is. Usually when things "don't work" it's because of a bad network design.

My home virtual NAS is installed on my desktop PC on wired ethernet (my WiFi router has Ethernet ports). But I could not access the virtual TrueNAS via a web user interface from my Mac Mini and a Lenovo laptop through home wifi.

xq0404

Dabbler
By the way, I have also installed a Plex Media Server respectively on my Desktop PC, Mac Mini and Lenovo laptop. It has worked perfectly.

xq0404

Dabbler

I think I have succeeded. Thank you so much. In configuring the network, just change to "Bridged" mode and choose "user-defined" VMnet0.

xq0404

Dabbler
I have learned a lot in the past few days from all this virtual configuration of NAS. But it turned out a NAS at home is not something I need urgently now. I might as well resort to accessing shared folders on Windows 10, which is much easier and more practical. That's because copying data to and from TrueNAS is painfully slow. I have finally figured out how to reliably use Windows 10's built-in networking mechanism. I also found out that TrueNAS Core cannot expand an exising pool (despite showing a successful operation) as I originally hoped although I added an additional virtual hard drive (vmdk at an allowed maximum capacity of 2040 GB ).

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
found out that TrueNAS Core cannot expand pools as I originally hoped

Well, that comes as shocking news to those of us who expand pools on a semi-regular basis.

no matter how many additional virtual hard drive (vmdk at an allowed maximum capacity of 2040 GB ) I added.

That, however, is a recipe for disaster. See

xq0404

Dabbler
Well, that comes as shocking news to those of us who expand pools on a semi-regular basis.

That, however, is a recipe for disaster. See

There appears tp be a bug with a vmdk that can set a maximum capacity of 2040 GB and that can automatically enlarge capacity gradually under a VMware workstation configuration. The TrueNAS at first can expand pool accordingly. Then somehow the pool stops adjusting the virtual drive capacity as the vmdk enlarges bit by bit, let alone the volume of an additional attached 2040 GB virtual drive that I added .

I want to use NAS to play lossless high-res music files. But come on, I can only transfer or receive data at a rate of 5-20 MB/s even from the host PC I installed VMware Workstation Player and TrueNAS.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're not supposed to be enlarging VMDK's holding ZFS partitions. You can add additional disks, but at the point where you are trying to add terabytes of space, you should be using real disks via PCIe passthru. VMware Workstation is not going to do well under this kind of abuse, and something will go <<sproing>> sooner or later, probably sooner. The article I gave you wasn't really a suggestion. It's the way you need to do things if you want your data to be safe and secure.

xq0404

Dabbler
You're not supposed to be enlarging VMDK's holding ZFS partitions. You can add additional disks, but at the point where you are trying to add terabytes of space, you should be using real disks via PCIe passthru. VMware Workstation is not going to do well under this kind of abuse, and something will go <<sproing>> sooner or later, probably sooner. The article I gave you wasn't really a suggestion. It's the way you need to do things if you want your data to be safe and secure.
Perhaps creating fixed-capacity vmdks instead of automatically-adjusted virtual drives and gradually adding them is another option so that the pool will not be at a loss to resilver and reclaim space while expanding capacity.

xq0404

Dabbler
I tried once again after scrubbing and resilvering the pool's Vdev, this time by adding a smaller virtual hard drive, but it could not even extend itself to become part of the pool as the previous larger VMDK. The only other choice is to create a second pool. So I have no choice but to give up on TrueNAS for the time being.

Attachments

• extend failure.JPG
    extend failure.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 147
  • pool failure.JPG
    pool failure.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Pool2.JPG
    Pool2.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited: