Upgrade from 12.0-BETA2.1 to RC1 failing

coolnodje

Explorer
Well, I thought I found an option under System->Boot->Status->Replace that would just copy the actual boot pool to a new one.
I tried this, replacing my USB Dongle pool with the empty SSD, and using the `zpool status` command I could see that it was resilvering the new SSD.

I had a doubt that TrueNAS would be able to restart from this new boot pool with just this, and in effect it didn't restart with the SSD as the first boot option in BIOS.

I then reinstalled from scratch on the SSD, trying Upgrade install, but still couldn't boot from the device.
Did a Fresh install. Still can't boot from it.

It now sounds like a pretty bad sequence of things.
It's hard to believe there's anything wrong with the SSD.
I tried to change the SATA channel, but anyway the SSD is listed in the BIOS boot option, I don't think it could be this.

Then again I tried Upgrade install and Format the boot device, still to no avail.

To top it all I'm now facing also an uncorrectable I/O failure on the USB boot-pool.

Any idea on how a BIOS listed device could be not bootable after a successful installation ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you save your configuration file before starting?

Any idea on how a BIOS listed device could be not bootable after a successful installation ?
You set it up as a RAID drive and the partitions are all non-standard?, probably not but that one does catch people from time to time. You said BIOS, but what is your BIOS booting as, UEFI or Legacy BIOS? Try Legacy BIOS, it's generally the most compatible. My suggestion if the BIOS doesn't fix it is to perform a Secure Erase on the SSD (assuming your SSD supports this command), or a full format of all sectors, the Secure Erase takes seconds, the other takes a much longer time. Then install FreeNAS on it and boot from it. If that fails then try an earlier version of FreeNAS. Or you have your BIOS setup incorrectly. All of these things are simple to try and should not take long. You could revert to the USB Flash drive and once that is working again, then shut down your system, remove your USB Flash Drive and install the SSD, then try to build the bootable SSD. If you can't make it work then you can always go back to the USB Flash Drive.

coolnodje

Explorer
My configuration is saved just fine, thanks @joeschmuck

I just did a reinstall after my initial USB dongle failed me. On a new one, and it just worked fine, as expected.

Then received an ordered SSD and just started to fiddle with the System boot pool options.

After a failed reboot, I just reinstalled the SSD from scratch, but it couldn't be found as a bootable device, as I explained above.

Now I was just able to fresh reinstall the new USB dongle, it went fine, but it's also not recognized as a bootable device.

All devices were setup as UEFI device, and at least for the 2 previous USB dongles, it was working.

Maybe I changed something in the BIOS. The fact that both successfully installed device can't be booted from tend sto indicate the problem is at this level.
And in any case my best option at this stage is to try BIOS instead of UEFI, even though it used to work.

coolnodje

Explorer
Legacy BIOS did the trick apparently

joeschmuck

Old Man