Upgrade from 12.0-BETA2.1 to 12.0-RC1 broke SMB shares

Dohmar

Dabbler
ok. is it a possibility that a process call samba invokes can be screwy that doesn't appear in that list? Just throwing it out there

b4bblefish

Dabbler
This issue has been resolved for me at least. It turns out Windows 10 was caching the credential it sends over even though I had a different one saved in my credential manager. Restarting the client PC fixed this. Thanks anodos!

Guille

Dabbler
Hi All,

I had my SMB shares working after initially setting up TrueNAS. I have verified that the datasets in my pools have 777 permissions and also that the ACL for @Everyone is set to full control and applied recursively. This was working just fine however last night I did an upgrade which also involved a reboot and now I am stuck getting a popup error for "Windows cannot access..." for my SMB share. I also tried reapplying 777 permissions, removing shares, acls, and recreating home user account i use for SMB access. I don't really know how to fix this or diagnose further at this point any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Same here.

Now I can't even share the same datasets.

RC1 won't allow sharing nested datasets anymore.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Same here.

Now I can't even share the same datasets.

RC1 won't allow sharing nested datasets anymore.
Can you explain this more in depth? There's an RC1 regression where if a user's `.system/cores` dataset has more than 1GiB of old core files in it, the system dataset (including samba's passdb.tdb) won't be properly initialized. This causes SMB authentication to not work correctly. Indication for this situation would be empty output from `midclt call smb.passdb_list`.

Guille

Dabbler
hi there, I oppened another thread

It appears that I can't share this nested filesystems anymore

1600473586046.png

what else can I try or post in order to debug this? thanks

Guille

Dabbler
Im really lost here. Where do you mount datasets? I never did that. I just created them and share via SMB. And it worked.

Upgraded to RC1 and this happened. This seems to be at least a bug in the upgrade process.

Dohmar

Dabbler
In the SMB share, does it point to /mnt/tank/backups/your/folders or is it pointed elsewhere?
If you go into a shell and "cd /mnt", what is the output of "ls -la" ?

Guille

Dabbler
In the SMB share, does it point to /mnt/tank/backups/your/folders or is it pointed elsewhere?
If you go into a shell and "cd /mnt", what is the output of "ls -la" ?
1600614549085.png

Before the upgrade to RC1, they were there.

How can I mount them again? I've never had to mount datasets like this in order to see them in shell.

Attachments

• 1600614492836.png
    1600614492836.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 224

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Im really lost here. Where do you mount datasets? I never did that. I just created them and share via SMB. And it worked.

Upgraded to RC1 and this happened. This seems to be at least a bug in the upgrade process.
Not sure why your backups dataset is unmounted. Try manually mounting from CLI. zfs mount tank/Backups. If message is printed, post here. You can verify by checking zfs get mounted tank/Backups.

Guille

Dabbler
Well thanks, it worked. I had to manually remount all the structure. Now it is visible and available for SMB sharing.

I guess that will have to do that with every reboot.

Guille

Dabbler
Oh great! It is persisting. Now I rebooted and they are all mounted ok. Thanks a lot.

So I have a new hypothesis and it has to do with a replication task from my old Freenas to this box. I pointed a replication task to /mnt/tank/Backups/ and that may have broken things.

So, my bad, sorry. This doesn't seems to be related to SMB nor beta2 to rc1.

Thanks @anodos for your help.