SMB shares broken starting with 12.0-U3

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Today I upgraded TrueNAS from 12.0-U2.1 to 12.0-U3. Since then, access to my smb shares has been broken.
  • It started showing as that my credentials suddenly weren't correct.
  • I tried re-configuring my user account's password. This didn't help, although nothing complained about wrong credentials anymore.
  • I always used to use SMB1 to connect, so through \\NETBIOSNAME\Share.
  • Turning this on again in the SMB config didn't help.
  • Neither \\NETBIOSNAME\Share nor \\my.server.tld\Share don't work (whereas both used to work before).
  • When I open \\NETBIOSNAME or \\my.server.tld in the Windows 10 file explorer, it says "this folder is empty".
  • When I look under share I still see my shares and they're all enabled.
  • I use legacy encryption on my pool. This has never been a problem so far.
  • Booting back into 12.0-U2.1 solves the problem.
What could be wrong?

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Today I upgraded TrueNAS from 12.0-U2.1 to 12.0-U3. Since then, access to my smb shares has been broken.
  • It started showing as that my credentials suddenly weren't correct.
  • I tried re-configuring my user account's password. This didn't help, although nothing complained about wrong credentials anymore.
  • I always used to use SMB1 to connect, so through \\NETBIOSNAME\Share.
  • Turning this on again in the SMB config didn't help.
  • Neither \\NETBIOSNAME\Share nor \\my.server.tld\Share don't work (whereas both used to work before).
  • When I open \\NETBIOSNAME or \\my.server.tld in the Windows 10 file explorer, it says "this folder is empty".
  • When I look under share I still see my shares and they're all enabled.
  • I use legacy encryption on my pool. This has never been a problem so far.
  • Booting back into 12.0-U2.1 solves the problem.
What could be wrong?
PM me a debug please. System->Advanced->Save Debug.

hba

Dabbler
I'm experiensing the same problem with vers. 12.0-U3. Updated from 12.0-U2.1 via GUI . First user created works fine thougho_O How do I PM the debug to you.
UPDATE: Followed the documentation and Click SELECT AN ACL PRESET, open the drop down, and choose OPEN. Click SAVE. I had choosen the Home option, which apparently does not work as I expected:oops: Now it works again.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm experiensing the same problem with vers. 12.0-U3. Updated from 12.0-U2.1 via GUI . First user created works fine thougho_O How do I PM the debug to you.
UPDATE: Followed the documentation and Click SELECT AN ACL PRESET, open the drop down, and choose OPEN. Click SAVE. I had choosen the Home option, which apparently does not work as I expected:oops: Now it works again.
I don't know if it's your case, but I saw at least one failure to completely generate user on the NAS because of non-existent home directory.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
anados kindly provided me with the following workaround: open a shell and execute midclt call smb.configure after unlocking a pool that uses legacy encryption. Thanks :grin: !

KazuyaDarklight

Dabbler
While it sounds like this may not be relevant to you, and I'm still debugging. For anyone this may help as a U3 SMB share issue, I had some of my shares set with the vfs "full_audit" flag for file access/change logging. All the shares with this flag turned on became visible but inaccessible(with permission errors) to my users after upgrading to U3. Removing full_audit immediately fixed them.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
While it sounds like this may not be relevant to you, and I'm still debugging. For anyone this may help as a U3 SMB share issue, I had some of my shares set with the vfs "full_audit" flag for file access/change logging. All the shares with this flag turned on became visible but inaccessible(with permission errors) to my users after upgrading to U3. Removing full_audit immediately fixed them.
vfs_full_audit is a thin layer on top of samba's VFS. You need to consult the manpage after each major samba version upgrade. I try to keep these in line with our OS version upgrades (11.3 == Samba 4.10, 12.0 == Samba 4.12)

strmd

Cadet
I'm having some issues which may or may not be related to the latest update. Accessing SMB shares on a Mac (macOS 10.14, 10.15 and 11.3, as well as iOS 14.5) with folder names containing umlauts, they are showing up as a file, sometimes as a question mark, and always appear empty (when they even work). From a Windows machine, everything is fine.

I have checked all relevant settings in both SMB options and the share options, destroyed and created the shares all over again, rebooted and restarted the SMB service multiple times. No change.

Before I updated this afternoon, everything was fine. Now I don't even know how to proceed. AFP, to my surprise, shows similar behavior (i.e. files are still inaccessible in these folders). Over SSH everything is dandy.

Any ideas?

strmd

Cadet
Here's the output of testparm -s
Code:
[global]
        aio max threads = 2
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        disable spoolss = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        enable web service discovery = Yes
        kernel change notify = No
        load printers = No
        logging = file
        max log size = 5120
        netbios name = TRUENAS
        nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
        registry shares = Yes
        restrict anonymous = 2
        server role = standalone server
        server string = TrueNAS Server
        unix extensions = No
        idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
        fruit:nfs_aces = No
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        directory name cache size = 0
        dos filemode = Yes

[redacted]
        ea support = No
        level2 oplocks = No
        mangled names = no
        oplocks = No
        path = /mnt/data/redacted
        read only = No
        vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs ixnas aio_fbsd
        streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
        streams_xattr:prefix = user.
        fruit:locking = netatalk
        fruit:resource = file
        fruit:metadata = netatalk
        fruit:encoding = native
        nfs4:chown = true

geopfarth

Explorer
I have lost my access to the share as well. I keep getting authentication errors. I have created users, checked all of the permissions, even recreated the share. My windows PC sees the server but will never authenticate to it. I am at a loss for what I am doing wrong. It was running great in 11.3.
1620335616268.png

1620335667433.png

geopfarth

Explorer
I have lost my access to the share as well. I keep getting authentication errors. I have created users, checked all of the permissions, even recreated the share. My windows PC sees the server but will never authenticate to it. I am at a loss for what I am doing wrong. It was running great in 11.3.
View attachment 47050
View attachment 47051
well, Now I can actually see the share on my windows box, but I am unable to write to the share. The SMB ACL seems like it should allow it, I connected to it using the datastore owner credentials. I have deleted and then re-created the SMB share about 5 times, I have created new users and given them full access to the data store and used those credentials. Nothing seems to grant me write access. anyone have any idea of what else I can try?

geopfarth

Explorer
well, Now I can actually see the share on my windows box, but I am unable to write to the share. The SMB ACL seems like it should allow it, I connected to it using the datastore owner credentials. I have deleted and then re-created the SMB share about 5 times, I have created new users and given them full access to the data store and used those credentials. Nothing seems to grant me write access. anyone have any idea of what else I can try?
not sure how I did it, but now I have write access as well as read from my remote computer.

opensourceFTW

Explorer
I lost my SMB share as well on my linux machine. The network links are still there but when I click on them I get an error.

I am still knew to Linux. I am using the Zorin distribution of Ubuntu. SMB may not be the best share option but it was working. I have 12.0-U8.1.

Attachments

• TruNAS error.png
    TruNAS error.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 94

opensourceFTW

Explorer
I rolled back to 8.0 but the error persists. I just realized that this is an old thread, my apologies.