Updating questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkaine

Explorer
I am running FreeNAS 8.0 (the specs in sig). I want to upgrade to 8.0.1 however I've a few questions before I do it. Yes I know there is an upgrade page already, but it describes how to do this through windows on a flash drive.

1. Can I upgrade via FreeNAS boot CD? (i386 Iso of beta4)

2. When I upgrade will my partitions and such be saved? or Auto Imported?

3. Can it use the configuration files that 8.0 Used? (As in I can just go to the upload tab and be done with it)

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm pretty sure the release notes actually recommend upgrading with the CD.

I had trouble when I tried to upgrade. It recognized the existing install and asked if I wanted to save the settings. I said yes and it upgraded, but the settings were messed up and I think even the GUI was unusable. There are some differences in the settings database and restoring settings doesn't (at least for me again) work right either.

Your partitions/pools/volumes etc will still be there, but if your settings get messed up like mine, you'll have to go to the Storage -> Volumes and do and Auto-Import (Icon).

If you have an extra flash drive, I'd recommend just keeping your existing flash drive and put a fresh install with the upgrade on the other one and doing the auto-import and put your settings back in by hand.

Darkaine

Explorer
Thanks proto, However I saw the "Update Firmware" setting. Will that update? I uploaded the FreeNAS-8.0.1-BETA4-i386-Full_Install.xz through that and all it says was "you have successfully uploaded a firmware" -.-

I'll probably go ahead and set it up via CD but that would be a nice feature to use in the future when i remove the drive.

ProtoSD

MVP
The Update Firmware is supposed to work that way, but for beta 4 I think they said not to do it that way.

Darkaine

Explorer
Okay, thanks alot mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.