Updating from RC1 to RC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIsabelle218

Dabbler
Hello, I have a few issues. I'm trying to update from RC1 to the latest and greatest RC2. I'm running off a usb flash drive. I downloaded FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC2-amd64-GUI_Upgrade.xz

I go into the web GUI, and select firmware update. select where i saved the downloaded file above (on my laptop's desktop) and enter the SHA256 Hash:
91df60794cc73c1d9a1771a59a71d0a2a8e06d99e61020d493918d76380fadcf
Got this out of the readme.

I get a loading notification then it tells me the file has been uploaded successfully. . .

Then what? It just hangs . . .I tried a reboot in the GUI but my freenas box hangs then too (says "mountd not running"). Only fix is to power down the box, reapply power, but My OS version is still FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1. Is that the newest update? or am i looking for p2 (RC2?)

Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
FreeBSD 8.2 p2 is the version of BSD that FreeNAS is built on. If you're looking at the System Information in the GUI, the FreeNAS version is a couple of lines below that. When you do the upgrade from the GUI, it needs temp space to extract the image. I think it tries /var or looks for a place on your pool. If it runs out of space it can hang. Try doing a 'df' from the GUI while doing the update and see which of your partitions increases in usage, and if it fills up. You probably need to repeat 'df' several times to see the changes in usage.

JIsabelle218

Dabbler
Try doing a 'df' from the GUI while doing the update and see which of your partitions increases in usage, and if it fills up. You probably need to repeat 'df' several times to see the changes in usage.

What exactly does this mean? I looked around the GUI and couldn't find anything that resembles this. . .I currently and running my software on a 4GB usb stick. . .if that helps.

Thanks

ps my current freenas build reads: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64

pps an update:

I can get the file to upload in the web GUI. When i go through the firmware update process, at the end it simply reads "You have successfully uploaded a firmware!".

What do I need to do now?

Here are some pics

ProtoSD

MVP
Sorry, I assumed you understood. 'df' is a command you would need to do at the console to check your disk space usage..... However, now that we know the correct version of FreeNAS that you're using, upgrading from the GUI is not the recommended method. You need to download the ISO version of FreeNAS. Where it says 'FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC2-amd64-GUI_Upgrade.xz' the GUI_Upgrade.xz should be .ISO. After you get that, burn it to a CD, and boot the CD in your FreeNAS system with the USB Flash drive still plugged in. It will recognize you have an older version and ask if you want to upgrade and keep your settings. The GUI upgrade method only works reliably when going from certain versions like 8.01 beta to 8.01 RC2, not big jumps like 8.0 to 8.01 RC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.