Update from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12.0 and Legacy Encryption error

dlp1950

Dabbler
I have been waiting for some good news, and updated information on upgrading to TrueNAS, and I finally did it.
My first encounter was after a major power outage, and I was unable to restore the FreeNAS 11.3 to my home server. I went to install TrueNAS and found I needed a new set of larger boot drives, so I an now using RecaData 64Gb SSD drives in a USB Format. Once installed, I found everything transitioning completely.

I have now fully completed the Work server transition, but with a few kinks. The First attempt was to install TrueNAS on the system. After removing the FreeNAS boot USB's, my bootable TrueNAS CD would not boot, so I made a bootable USB. I inserted the new NXT 128Gb USB's and TrueNAS installed flawlessly. I used a earlier system config from the 11.3 system and then could not activate the Legacy encrypted pool. I shut down and reinserted the 11.3 USB boots and added a new pool set to backup all the data in the encrypted pool. We only use this server for file storage, so access via Windows network maps made this easy. I used SSD drives in a USB encloser for the backup since I was only setting up a non-RAID pool and would then reuse the existing disk after deleting the data, and using them for the new encrypted RAID pool. I then saved the downloaded a recovery key, went to Manage and added a key, then downloaded the config file since I knew I would need it to setup the new pool with the backup. I was intent on cleaning the old encrypted pool, and starting fresh with a new pool, then added the backup information.
All set to start, I removed the 11.3 USB's, and restarted the server with the new TrueNAS USB's. Once booted, I uploaded the newest config file, and then went to the Pools. The new pool with the backup was in place, but to my surprise, the Legacy Encrypted Pool was unlocked as well. To be sure I could unlock it later, I immediately downloaded a new config file, a new recovery key and a new encryption key. I was a lot less work than I had envisioned after reading the post here, so I thought this might helpful to others.

The VM, and all other services came online without a fault.