SOLVED Unable to update from freenas 11.2U7 to 11.3 (showing middlewared: setting up plugins (pwenc) [2/45]error)

narender

Cadet
Hi ,

I am trying to update my freenas system from 11.2-u7 to 11.3 using system>update
from GUI . After updating and reboot it stuck to
" middlewared: setting up plugins (pwenc) [2/45] error and then waiting to 10 minutes it shows error of "failed to run middleware call Daemon not running error" as given below and then login prompt where i can login with admin/root and able to ping all local IPs and google.com but still i am unable to access freenas GUI through the existing freenas IP address and shows error of "connecting to freenas .Make sure your freenas system is powered on and connected to internet " on web brower .
One more thing running dmesg -a command line in local freenas terminal shows "error resolving pool 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org:hostname or server name not provided or not known " Is this can be the reason of GUI not showing or any other reason .

I have checked same error in multiple queries in forums and took action like changing pen drive, fresh install of 11.3 OS on new pen drive and then restore config file but same issue in all cases .If fresh install 11.3 or truenas12 in pen drive and then restore backup from truenas gui screen then again stuck to same errors after reboot .

Pls suggest for possible solutions .Thanks in advance .

freenas_error.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Check your networking. Usually NTP failures like this are due to a) missing default gateway; b) missing DNS servers; c) incorrect subnet mask; or any combination of all three.

Note, both 11.2 and 11.3 are past end-of-life. Plugins for those versions are no longer available in the upstream FreeBSD pkg repository. You'll need to upgrade to 12.0-U8.1, and recreate your plugins on FreeBSD 12.3.

narender

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.
I am updating to 11.3 and then finally will update to Truenas12.0 as need to update one by one as per several forums saying and documentation .
My major concern why after updating it stuck to it and is NTP error is the main reason for not showing GUI screen .
Above solutions which you discribed i will try to resolve the ntp alarm .

Any other things i can check to resolve all above mentioned errors/issues so that i can check tonight for same .

I have tried following ...
1)Updating 11.2U7 to 11.3 from GUI and found above errors . (Tonight i will try directly to update 11.2 to truenas from GUI and will share error if any)
2)Installed 11.3 freenas OS from scratch in pen drive and then restored configuration of existing freenas then getting same above error after rebooting .
3)Upgrading freenas 11.2U7 to truenas directly with truenas ISO image and got the following error as given above .Finally stopped at login prompt as given in image .

Pls suggest any other option need to check or implement so that i can check all tonight .Login in shell available and connectivity with google.com possible any suggestion to get freenas GUI screen .

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If your end goal is 12, I would skip the intermediate upgrade to 11.3:
  1. Delete all your plugins. This is because 11.2 was the last release using warden plugins. 11.3 switched to iocage plugins, and is the cause of your plugin errors. There's no getting around needing to recreate all your plugins from scratch.
  2. Save your config.
  3. Clean install 12.0-U8.1
  4. Import your config and reboot when prompted
  5. Rebuild your plugins

narender

Cadet
I dont have plugins installed so i simply upgrade to 11.2U7 to 11.2U8 and its ok but after that upgrading to 11.3 facing same issue which i shared above(stuck at login prompt) .Also tried directly installing 11.3 in new pen drive from scratch but after reloading the config file stuck after reboot to same error as given above . Pls support what can be the issue .Mani concern is after reloading config file GUI screen not appears .I took backup with all services on,pools attached and then use same config file in newly installed OS of 11.3 but after reboot stuck to same login prompt but freenas GUI page not appears in web browser .
Pls suggest what can be the issue .Should i stop services,discon pools and then take backup and restore same in newly conf 11.3 pen drive and then connect the pool/start services .
Pls suggest ..

narender

Cadet
Hello all Appreciate if someone can provide any suggestion on above issue ..
I brief action taken till now ...
1)11.2U7 to 11.2U8 upgrade done , no issue, easily upgraded after reboot and showing 11.3U8 latest version
2)Then upgrading to 11.3U5 then stuck to error " failed to run middleware : Daemon not running " and then finally login screen where i am able to ping freenas local ip,google.com etc but GUI screen not visible on freenas existing IP .Is there any daemon,service or any pkg need to install or start etc.Pls suggest
3)Installing 11.3 from scratch in new pen drive and then restoring backup also stuck to same above error when we load oru config file to GUI of newly configured freenas 11.3 system so after reboot it stuck to same error .Is there any issue with config file so that after loading backup config file it does not start GUI .
4)On our test systems we are able to upgrade 11.2 to 11.3U5 easily .

Pls suggest if someone guide to check further on this .

narender

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.
I am updating to 11.3 and then finally will update to Truenas12.0 as need to update one by one as per several forums saying and documentation .
My major concern why after updating it stuck to it and is NTP error is the main reason for not showing GUI screen .
Above solutions which you discribed i will try to resolve the ntp alarm .

Any other things i can check to resolve all above mentioned errors/issues so that i can check tonight for same .

I have tried following ...
1)Updating 11.2U7 to 11.3 from GUI and found above errors . (Tonight i will try directly to update 11.2 to truenas from GUI and will share error if any)
2)Installed 11.3 freenas OS from scratch in pen drive and then restored configuration of existing freenas then getting same above error after rebooting .
3)Upgrading freenas 11.2U7 to truenas directly with truenas ISO image and got the following error as given above .Finally stopped at login prompt as given in image .

Pls suggest any other option need to check or implement so that i can check all tonight .Login in shell available and connectivity with google.com possible any suggestion to get freenas GUI screen .
Finally successfully upgraded to 12.0-U8.1 successfully .
If someone get same error as given error so for there help so that dont waste so much of time as we have done .
Here is the main thing which i have done to upgrade finally .
What i tried and not worked : I performed many options like change usb to USB3.0 or to SSD ,upgrading through GUI from 11.2U7 to 11.3U5 directly or through manaul backup or new upgrade from scratch ,using new pen drive with 11.3 and then restoring my config backup of 11.2U7 but everytime stuck to same error(middlware error daemon not working etc as given above) .These may work for some cases or for some users but not for me .
Action which work finally for me : Followed these two links
Pls note : Deleted two lines in my freenas backup (line no 2 and 3 ) and then restore the backup .In my case in this file /data/update.failed file (This file created when upgrade fails and freenas returns to original or old version of 11.2U7 or 11.2U8 which you are trying to upgrade)

the line <strong>sqlite3.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: directoryservice_idmap_rid.idmap_rid_domain_id</strong>
was slightly changed and
it was <strong>sqlite3.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: directoryservice_idmap_ad.idmap_rid_domain_ad</strong> in my update.failed file when i throughly checked my update.failed so i deleted the same rows 2 and 3 from freenas-v1.db (this backup file available when you take tar backup with password seed selected) opened in sqlite browser as given in link above accordingly . Pls check the error lines properly same as in link above and your actual update.failed filed . If same as given in links then follow as per link else delete from idmap.ad lines after browsing the backup file freenas-v1db.
Pls keep note of this as earlier i was trying to delete from idmap_rid .
If you idmap_rid then delete from there else idmap_ad as given in link above )
I have given enough information which i can share still

If anyone need step by step process which i followed i can share the same but only when if it required by anyone as it will take some time to prepare .

This thread can be marked as resolved .

Last edited:

mudshark

Contributor
Finally successfully upgraded to 12.0-U8.1 successfully .
If someone get same error as given error so for there help so that dont waste so much of time as we have done .
Here is the main thing which i have done to upgrade finally .
What i tried and not worked : I performed many options like change usb to USB3.0 or to SSD ,upgrading through GUI from 11.2U7 to 11.3U5 directly or through manaul backup or new upgrade from scratch ,using new pen drive with 11.3 and then restoring my config backup of 11.2U7 but everytime stuck to same error(middlware error daemon not working etc as given above) .These may work for some cases or for some users but not for me .
Action which work finally for me : Followed these two links
Pls note : Deleted two lines in my freenas backup (line no 2 and 3 ) and then restore the backup .In my case in this file /data/update.failed file (This file created when upgrade fails and freenas returns to original or old version of 11.2U7 or 11.2U8 which you are trying to upgrade)

the line <strong>sqlite3.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: directoryservice_idmap_rid.idmap_rid_domain_id</strong>
was slightly changed and
it was <strong>sqlite3.IntegrityError: UNIQUE constraint failed: directoryservice_idmap_ad.idmap_rid_domain_ad</strong> in my update.failed file when i throughly checked my update.failed so i deleted the same rows 2 and 3 from freenas-v1.db (this backup file available when you take tar backup with password seed selected) opened in sqlite browser as given in link above accordingly . Pls check the error lines properly same as in link above and your actual update.failed filed . If same as given in links then follow as per link else delete from idmap.ad lines after browsing the backup file freenas-v1db.
Pls keep note of this as earlier i was trying to delete from idmap_rid .
If you idmap_rid then delete from there else idmap_ad as given in link above )
I have given enough information which i can share still

If anyone need step by step process which i followed i can share the same but only when if it required by anyone as it will take some time to prepare .

This thread can be marked as resolved .
I want to u/g my 11.1-u7 to the current core but saw somewhere that the current core requires all disks to be the same size. I started with (5) 4TB drives and am upgrading to 6TB drives one at a time as $$$ allows. Currently, I have (3) 4TB and (2) 6TB drives installed in a zfs-z3 configuration.
I have no plug-ins or jails, etc. It is a very straightforward configuration.
I also read that the current core install should be 'clean'. Does this mean that a live upgrade won't work?
You have a guide to accomplish this?
Thanks.

Last edited: