Update Freenas 9.2.0

jucelio_rosa

Dabbler
Good afternoon.
I have a server with freenas 9.2.0 . I would like to update it, but I am not sustained ..
I would like to do it through the internet browser. I'm away from the server and do the whole procedure remotely.

I noticed that when I click on System, the update tab does not appear..
What should I do to perform an update?

Arwen

MVP
Their was a serious difference in later FreeNAS. The boot file system was changed to ZFS, which will likely require building a new boot device. I think FreeNAS 9.3 or 9.10 was the beginning of the ZFS boot pool.

As for doing it all remotely, I don't think it will work in this case.

Perhaps someone else will have answers.

blanchet

Guru
If the server has an IPMI interface with remote KVM and remote media it is possible to reinstall remotely TrueNAS with a newer version.
On DELL servers the IPMI interface is named IDRAC, on HPE it is named ILO.

It will work also with an external IP KVM (Like Avocent/VertiV)

Else you can ask someone on the remote site to connect through the VGA console and assist him/her with Whatsapp.

jucelio_rosa

Dabbler
Good morning .
It doesn't necessarily have to be a remote job. I can go to the website on Saturday, but what I want to know is if it is possible to update via internet browser. I access the server in the internet browser, but I didn't find any option to update. I ran the pkg update -f command in the console, but not without success. I click on the "System" option, but the update tab does not appear..
I don't want to have to install everything again... I just wanted to update.

Thanks for your reply.

Arwen

MVP
The data pool should be fine. Just don't upgrade it's feature set for a while, like months.

I doubt you can install version 9.10 or higher with a browser, unless you have IPMI / ILO / IDRAC on the server. You will likely need console access to install the newer version.

As I said, it is possible that 9.2 does NOT have a simple upgrade path due to the change in boot pool file system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's not even the immediate upgrade that bugs me, it's the 7ish years of config database changes. That's not going to be a fun migration, even 9.2.1.x to 9.10 was somewhat problematic, occasionally.

Honestly, it may be simpler to reconfigure from scratch, given the huge changes to most of the features that need more complex configuration anyway.

Also, make sure you're using ZFS. Support for UFS was dropped in 9.3. It's been so long everyone here just forgot to mention that.

Arwen

MVP
Also, make sure you're using ZFS. Support for UFS was dropped in 9.3. It's been so long everyone here just forgot to mention that.
Arg, you are right, I forgot about that.

Yes, make sure you are using ZFS. If you are using UFS for your data devices, then that is a whole another can of worms.

jucelio_rosa

Dabbler
Good morning. I thank you for the answers. This server was not created by me, I don't know all the settings that were made on it yet, but I must go there this weekend to try to resolve the issue.