unloading ipmi kernel module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henning Kessler

Contributor
Hello

I am trying to install FreeNAS 9.3 onto a Fujitsu-Siemens RX330 S1. but he reboot after the installation results in a panic. Watching the boot log I suspect the ipmi kernel module to be responsible for this. What would be the best way to do this? Can I alter the boot parameter in the Grub boot menu?

Regards

Henning

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Does it panic immediately on load, or later on?

Throwing in "kldunload ipmi" as a pre-init script might be enough if it panics later but it sounds like it's falling down as soon as the module is loaded, which wouldn't give you the chance.

Henning Kessler

Contributor
Unfortunately is panics immediately. I already tried to edit the boot parameters with
Code:
set ipmi_load="NO"
but that did not help either.

rogerh

Guru
Can you disable the IPMI chip in BIOS, so perhaps it won't attempt to load the module? Alternatively, get one of the 9.2.1.* FreeNAS versions which comes with a boot image you can load on a USB stick. Then edit the boot image (?delete the module) before booting using a live CD which can read UFS.

Henning Kessler

Contributor
Would it be possible to do this with the FreeNAS 9.3 USB stick itself? I could give openzfs for OS X a try ;-). If that does not work I will try to disable the IPMI itself..

rogerh

Guru
Would it be possible to do this with the FreeNAS 9.3 USB stick itself? I could give openzfs for OS X a try ;-). If that does not work I will try to disable the IPMI itself..

I've no idea how easy that would be - you'd have to import the pool to read it without letting it automount anywhere harmful. Assuming openzfs for OS X has all the relevant features. Interesting though, I wonder if anyone round here knows how to do this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can you disable the IPMI chip in BIOS, so perhaps it won't attempt to load the module? Alternatively, get one of the 9.2.1.* FreeNAS versions which comes with a boot image you can load on a USB stick. Then edit the boot image (?delete the module) before booting using a live CD which can read UFS.

That's generally not possible. IPMI is tied deep into the system BIOS and the Management Engine on most modern systems.

Henning Kessler

Contributor
@Ericloewe Thanks for the clarification.

@rogerh I just tried it
Download & install openzfsforosx from here
plug in the USB stick, a warning will appear saying that the inserted media can not be read. just click on ignore.
open Terminal.app and run:
Code:
sudo zpool import -a
and then
Code:
zfs list
which results in this
Code:
NAME                        USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
freenas-boot                598M  6,61G    31K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT           590M  6,61G    25K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT/default   590M  6,61G   590M  legacy
freenas-boot/grub          7,23M  6,61G  7,23M  legacy

then I had to change the mount point from legacy to something OS X can work with
Code:
sudo zfs set mountpoint=/Volumes/ROOT freenas-boot/ROOT/default

and the Volume(?) "ROOT" will appear and you can edit stuff with admin privileges.
then you have to unmount the Volume and revert the mount point
Code:
sudo zfs set mountpoint=legacy freenas-boot/ROOT/default
and then I exported the stick
Code:
sudo zpool export freenas-boot
and unplugged the drive.

Tomorrow I can verify if the stick is still bootable.

Henning Kessler

Contributor
Hello,
after a couple of try outs I found out the there was no issue with the ipmi kernel module. The problem was the onboard SATA controller (ServerWorks HT1000). After disabling it in BIOS freenas was booting like a charm...

Status
Not open for further replies.