FreeNAS mini - Kernel panic when booting ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrotronic

Cadet
Hello all. I'm new and this is my first post. Hope you are all doing well and are ready for Christmas !

Here is my problem... I am running a FreeNAS mini (AsRock C27504DI motherboard, Crucial 16GB ECC RAM, 32GB SATA DOM, 4x4TB WD Red's).

I have just burnt FreeNas-9.3-Stable-201509022158.iso to CD. Gone into BIOS, set the computer to firstly boot from the CD. Everything boots from the CD, and then.... kernel panic.

Screenshot:

http://s8.postimg.org/byadlefgl/IMG_20151208_191736.jpg

I suspect its a BIOS setting somewhere on my C27504DI AsRock motherboard thats causing the Kernel Panic, but I cant find what BIOS setting I need to tweak to rememdy the error. Hope somebody can help me as im out of ideas. Thank you for reading and look forward to hearing from you.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hello all. I'm new and this is my first post. Hope you are all doing well and are ready for Christmas !

Here is my problem... I am running a FreeNAS mini (AsRock C27504DI motherboard, Crucial 16GB ECC RAM, 32GB SATA DOM, 4x4TB WD Red's).

I have just burnt FreeNas-9.3-Stable-201509022158.iso to CD. Gone into BIOS, set the computer to firstly boot from the CD. Everything boots from the CD, and then.... kernel panic.

Screenshot:

http://s8.postimg.org/byadlefgl/IMG_20151208_191736.jpg

I suspect its a BIOS setting somewhere on my C27504DI AsRock motherboard thats causing the Kernel Panic, but I cant find what BIOS setting I need to tweak to rememdy the error. Hope somebody can help me as im out of ideas. Thank you for reading and look forward to hearing from you.
I thought that board had IPMI? Why would you use a CD?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Reset the BIOS to defaults, then redownload the ISO, and then use a laptop and IPMI to feed it the ISO image over the network, thereby eliminating the common problem of media flakiness or corruption as a potential issue.

retrotronic

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. Just to let you know the kernel panics when booting the FreeNAS CD I tracked down to a wireless keyboard adapter I had plugged into my USB port. After connecting a standard USB keyboard the system booted fine, and I could begin the installation.

Feel free to close the thread as the issue is now resolved.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks for the suggestions. Just to let you know the kernel panics when booting the FreeNAS CD I tracked down to a wireless keyboard adapter I had plugged into my USB port. After connecting a standard USB keyboard the system booted fine, and I could begin the installation.

Feel free to close the thread as the issue is now resolved.
What everyone has been telling you is that you don't need to connect a keyboard or monitor....you have IPMI. You should use it.

retrotronic

Cadet
What everyone has been telling you is that you don't need to connect a keyboard or monitor....you have IPMI. You should use it.

Yes I understand the board has IPMI features as was able to log into IPMI after discovering the IP on my network. I just wasnt confident with using it just yet, as I'm new to this feature. I need to do some further reading on using it :)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Once you use it you'll never want another board without it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Once you use it you'll never want another board without it.

It's truly funny when the virtual interfaces to machines (IPMI for physical, VMRC for VM) are actually more useful than physical access to a machine... often find myself preferring to sit at my desk rather than laying hands on gear.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just to let you know the kernel panics when booting the FreeNAS CD I tracked down to a wireless keyboard adapter I had plugged into my USB port.
Can you tell us some details? What's the keyboard model? What port did you try?

There have been some mysterious issues with USB Human Interface Devices, so information that helps track down the problem is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.